Posted to dev@marmotta.apache.org by Sergio Fernández <se...@salzburgresearch.at> on 2013/03/08 11:45:16 UTC

Re: marmotta meetings

Hi,

what about having a project meeting on IRC next Monday, March 11, around
10.00 CET to discuss the pending things for releasing 3.0.0-incubating?

Thanks!

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández
Salzburg Research

Re: release preparation (was Re: marmotta meetings)

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
there is light at the end of the tunnel... http://goo.gl/EMF3l :-)

--
Sergio Fernández

release preparation (was Re: marmotta meetings)

Posted by Sergio Fernández <se...@salzburgresearch.at>.

Re: marmotta meetings

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <ss...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Re: marmotta meetings

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 08/03/13 15:41, Sergio Fernández wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/03/13 16:24, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> We gave up on maven at that point - the dist/ area is built with a shell
>> script to control the layout and exactly which files go in.
>
> Custom script per project or something standard for all Apache projects?

It's Jena's script.

There are some standard patterns in projects but also minor differences
in many ways by the time the detail of requirements of each project are
factored in.

> I'll take a look how you do it in Jena.
>
>> I noticed that some headers in files are still (c). POMs especially.
>
> Particularly POMs: I need to check why the maven-license-plugin does not
> cover those files.
>
> What else did you detected?

Generally, it looks pretty good.  My original msg was more about the
time it takes and doing after everything else is ready leads to a longer
release cycle.  Sometimes things that need discussion or specific
checkign come oup, which means it not just a "doing" task.

I haven't been systematic in looking at the state of the git repo.

On a quick wander though the tree:

    NOTICE.txt has "@@TODO@@" :-)

    The import of jsonld-java needs handling.

    Some of the test materials are different copyright/license (drop a
specific NOTICE/LICENSE files in the directory, maybe a README, so
anyone going straight there finds them)

platform/marmotta-sparql/src/test/resources/test-suite-archive

> Andy, tanks for all your support!

NP - it's the mentors job to get you through what is one of the most
important thing about an Apache release - the quality of all the
non-technical aspects.

Working code?  That's taken for granted!

	Andy

Re: marmotta meetings

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: marmotta meetings

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 08/03/13 15:04, Sebastian Schaffert wrote:
> - there is a common source release consisting of the combined source code

Then it is one release.  Multiple binaries don't affect that (Jena is
two binaries, one sourec-release, and flotilla of maven artifacts).

> The open task here is to create the distribution configuration in the Maven
> build, I'll open an issue (MARMOTTA-131).

We gave up on maven at that point - the dist/ area is built with a shell
script to control the layout and exactly which files go in.

We use a bianries and source/ split, and we don't include .asc.md5 and
.asc.sha1 files.  We include HEADER.html for suggesting using the mirror
sites.

> Are you aware of any other issues we need to address before the first
> release? We'd like to proceed as quickly with it as possible so that
> projects depending on the old LMF can upgrade to Marmotta.

I noticed that some headers in files are still (c).  POMs especially.

Dry-running the whole process is also a good idea ... and deciding who
will be the release manager (and documenting the process).  All normal
stuff for setting up really.

	Andy

Re: marmotta meetings

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy and all,

thanks for the reminder. Actually we have been looking quite a lot how
other projects solve similar issues. In the last week we have sorted out
the following issues:
- removed all dependencies to code with incompatible licenses (according to
the Apache website):
  * c3p0 replaced by Tomcat JDBC Pool
  * unboundldap replaced by Apache LDAP
  * rdfa-core-java replaced by Semargl RDFa parser
  * mysql dependency made optional and added a README.mysql to explain the
situation
- removed all dependencies to code not on Maven Central or Apache
Repositories
  * ROME source code integrated into rss parser (under src/ext/java)
  * JSON-LD parser source code integrated into JSON-LD parser module (under
src/ext/java)

We have written/extended some Maven plugins that properly list the licenses
and repositories where dependency come from. All other dependencies seem to
be under compatible licenses. The outstanding task is here to update the
NOTICE file to list all dependencies that are under compatible license but
require notice according to Apache policy.

Re: marmotta meetings

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: marmotta meetings

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.