Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Brian Blakeley <we...@labourunions.com> on 2006/04/02 02:22:22 UTC

Planetary Questions

Hi,

I have been trying to get my head around the Planet feature in Roller
2.1 and I am hoping that some of you has some insights to share.

Here are the issues that are perplexing me:

1. Cache Issues:

After a lot of messing around with the configurations Planet suddenly
starting working at CheBlogs.com/  But, I cannot locate any cache
files.

The directory that I set up was {user.home}/roller_data/planet-cache and
I can't see that I am getting any error messages so I assume that the
program is writing the cache files somewhere on my disc.

What is the naming pattern for these files so that I can try to locate
them?

Is it possible that the Planet is spinning without using a cache file?

2. Internal Blogs on Planet:

I ran the synchronizing task and it seems to have worked in that all the
weblogs on CheBlogs.com are now being checked for new items for the
Planet.

But, this is not what I want.  I want the subscribed blogs only on my
Planet page.

How do I edit the Planet setup to only track the blogs that I manually
add to the list using the administration interface?

3. External Blogs on Planet:

I have added an outside blog (ie external to CheBlogs.com) and it does
not seem to be getting included on the Planet.

How do I get the task to check the external blog sites properly?

These are the three main (meaning things I can remember right now)
issues that I think I have with the Planet feature at CheBlogs.com/.

Thanks for taking the time to consider this email and please if I have
simply missed the documentation - Just point me to it and I will go
awhile for a bit and try to sort these issues out with the
documentation, before I post more questions.

Thanks everyone!

Brian

Re: Planetary Questions

Posted by Brian Blakeley <we...@labourunions.com>.
Quick update on writing to cache issue:

Following Allen's suggestion I changed roller.properties to refer
directly to the cache directory for Planet Che by its full path
- /BrianB/roller_data/planet-cache - following my example from the
earlier email, and now the external subscriptions are being written to
the cache on my server.

Re: Planetary Questions

Posted by Brian Blakeley <we...@labourunions.com>.

Re: Planetary Questions

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Planetary Questions

Posted by Brian Blakeley <we...@labourunions.com>.
Thanks Allen!

Re: Planetary Questions

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.

Brian Blakeley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to get my head around the Planet feature in Roller
> 2.1 and I am hoping that some of you has some insights to share.
>
> Here are the issues that are perplexing me:
>

> 1. Cache Issues:
>
> After a lot of messing around with the configurations Planet suddenly
> starting working at CheBlogs.com/  But, I cannot locate any cache
> files.
>
> The directory that I set up was {user.home}/roller_data/planet-cache and
> I can't see that I am getting any error messages so I assume that the
> program is writing the cache files somewhere on my disc.

based on what you said in #3 below it sounds like your planet
functionality is not working.  local blogs are pulled using a separate
mechanism which does not require the cache files i don't think.

> What is the naming pattern for these files so that I can try to locate
> them?
>
> Is it possible that the Planet is spinning without using a cache file?

i don't think so.

> 2. Internal Blogs on Planet:
>
> I ran the synchronizing task and it seems to have worked in that all the
> weblogs on CheBlogs.com are now being checked for new items for the
> Planet.
>
> But, this is not what I want.  I want the subscribed blogs only on my
> Planet page.

eeks, that is a bug/rfe then.