Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by James Adams <ja...@ucar.edu> on 2001/08/25 01:20:21 UTC

Running an Applet within a JSP

Hello,

I have an applet which runs fine when included as part of an
HTML file served by Apache.  However whenever I try including the applet
in a JSP file served by Tomcat I get a message from Netscape telling me
that

"This page contains information of a type (application/x-java-applet;)
that can only be viewed with the appropriate Plug-in.  Click OK to
download Plugin."

However I have already installed and configured the Java Plug-in
for applets.  Whenever I look in the
Preferences->Navigator->Applications menu there are several entries for
applet types (versions 1.1 through 1.3.1 as well as an applet type with
no version specified), all of which
specify Java Plug-in 1.3.1-b24.  The plug-in appears to be
working for the applet in the HTML but the same applet in the JSP
doesn't seem to get the same treatment.

I am serving this JSP using Tomcat v3.2.1 on a linux machine
(RedHat 7.0).  Other JSPs and servlets appear to run well so I think
that the Tomcat configuration is not the problem.

I have tested this using Internet Explorer on a Windows machine
and I get the same results - browse to the HTML served by Apache and all
is OK (the applet loads and appears on the page), but browse to the JSP
served by Tomcat and I'm prompted to download the plugin.

Any clues as to what I need to do to get this applet working in
this JSP ?  Perhaps I need to integrate Apache and Tomcat so that Tomcat
only does servlet/JSP processing and all other web services are handled
by Apache ?  This option sounds great but after a few attempts I realize
that it's not trivial to set up.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, all feedback will be
appreciated.

-James