Posted to users@jena.apache.org by kumar rohit <ku...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/09 20:09:23 UTC

REST Web services role in Jena and Semantic web

Hello what are the uses of Restful web services and AJAX in developing
semantic web applications. I mean if I have an owl file/ontology in Jena,
where is the role of the Restful web services and Ajax tool then?

Re: REST Web services role in Jena and Semantic web

Posted by "John A. Fereira" <ja...@cornell.edu>.
I wasn’t sure that this topic really fit into the purpose of the mailing list but since this was posted I’ll mention a couple of other RESTful web services built on top of a Jena stack.

Elda is a java implementation of the Linked Data API which exposes a set of RESTful URLs that sit on top of the Jena stack. The RESTful URLs are translated into sparql queries and an endpoint (typically implemented using Fuseki).  It’s a pretty slick system that seems to have a lot of active development.  It’s available on github here:  https://github.com/epimorphics/elda and documentation can be found here: http://epimorphics.github.io/elda/current/index.html

I have been doing some testing on something called Skosmos.  It’s a web application written in PHP that provides a REST API with a lot of features for accessing controlled vocabularies (represented as SKOS).  The vocabularies are stored in a Jena TDB with a Jena-Fuseki sparql endpoint configured to use jena_text (using either Lucene or Solr).  In this case, all of the front end code is in PHP (no jsps).  I have been using a Autotagging service that I developed based on a project called KEA that does entity extraction from documents and automatically assigns keyword tags from a controlled vocabulary that are added to the metadata.  KEA uses the jena TDB to store the vocabularies. My tagging service is being used to tag about 480K documents (all are PDFs) and the metadata is indexed using Solr index used by a Ruby on Rails application called Blacklight.  The Blacklight application doesn’t know anything about Owl or RDF.  I am looking at possibly replacing the KEA based implementation with Skosmos.

One of the project I spend a lot of time on is something called VIVO.  It’s an open source Semantic Web application that is being used in dozens of universities and other organizations worldwide (including a couple of US government agencies).  It uses jena extensively throughout the application.  It primarily is used in academic institutions store data about researchers, their affiliations, publications, grants, etc.  At my institution most of the faculty have user profiles in VIVO which accessible through the VIVO user interface.  However, we also have many departmental web sites which use a variety of technologies (e.g. Drupal) to create their site and they’d like to show a list of their faculty with a detailed profile.  Each of these department sites also has their own branding and they don’t want users to just follow a link to the VIVO site (which has a completely different theme).  So I developed a service which is basically a repository of sparql queries addressable with a Rest “style” URL.  The client site can basically say, “give me a list of all faculty members in the Chemistry department and I want to results as XML (or JSON, XMTML, or RDF)” or “give me detailed profile information for the faculty member with JoeBob123 as their user id”.  The service uses a specified sparql query and uses jena fuseki to query the triple store in VIVO, does some post processing of the results, and returns the data in the requested format.  Many of those client sites are developed with a proprietary content management system based on Cold Fusion that doesn’t understand OWL/RDF but can do an XSLT transformation with data represented as XML.  A Drupal site might want JSON instead.  The latest versions of VIVO support a configurable triple store so it would be the VIVO instance could switch from Jena SDB to Jena TDB or even Virtuoso and the client would never know it because it’s just calling a persistent Rest style URL.

Posted by Rob Walpole <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kumar,

Posted by kumar rohit <ku...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John A. Fereira" <ja...@cornell.edu>.
Are you looking for specific use cases or examples of REST web services which site on top a Jena implementation which contains data in owl/rdf?