Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Diethelm Guallar, Gonzalo" <Go...@sonda.com> on 2000/07/04 00:10:48 UTC

Tomcat and username/password

Hello,
Sorry if this is not the right forum, I have been
unable to find information on this topic.

I would like to have a JSP page served by Tomcat
force the appearance of a standard User/Password
dialog on the browser. How is this done? I have
tried with the examples/jsp/security/protected
pages provided with Tomcat, but no matter what
combination of user/password I enter, or how I
set up tomcat-users.xml, it always goes back to
the user/password dialog, shows it several times
and then shows an error page.

In fact, I'm playing around with ActivCard's smart
card technologies, and would like to authenticate
the user via dynamic passwords, but that will be my
next step. First, I gotta get a regular user/password
working! Any hints?

I actually got one response from a guy who said:
> This whole form-login tomcat stuff seems still under development and
> still full of BUGS , so I gave up from trying to use it...
> I experienced same problems as you did ( continuously gettin' login
> page even with correct password ), and BASIC authentication also
> doesn't work properly.

Thanks in advance,

--
Gonzalo A. Diethelm
gonzalo.diethelm@sonda.com

Re: Tomcat and username/password

Posted by Volker Turau <tu...@informatik.fh-wiesbaden.de>.
Hi,

you can use your web-server authentification mechanism, or the mechanism
described in web-applications (partially implemented in Tomcat 3.1) or you
can do it yourself. The latter is described in the
"Autentifizierung" example on

http://shannon.informatik.fh-wiesbaden.de/buch/skripte.jsp

volker turau
FH Wiesbaden Fachbereich Informatik
Tel.: +49-611-9495-205 FAX +49-611-9495-210
http://www.informatik.fh-wiesbaden.de/~turau