Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2003/03/21 05:18:04 UTC

AIX: ld -bI:httpd.exp vs. ld -lhttpd

In mod_perl 2.0 on AIX we have to import symbols from ap_ and apr_ namespaces
when linking the shared object (the other approach is to use -berok which
works as symbols get resolved at load time, but this is too error-prone).

The following two ways to import apr_ symbols seem to have the same effect
(let's say that there is only apr, and no aprutil for simplicity):

ld -bM:SRE -brtl -bnoentry -bI:/path/to/apr.exp a.o b.o -o foo.o

or

ld -bM:SRE -brtl -bnoentry -lapr a.o b.o -o foo.o

it looks like the loader figures out the imported symbols either from apr.exp
or from apr.so. It seems that the latter way is preffered since the exp file
could be wrong, whereas the shared object is always correct.

Am I correct so far? (I'm still quite new to aix ld's mechanics and yes, I've
read the ld manpage too many times.)

If so how do I tell ld to use the symbols from httpd, which is an executable
app and not a shared library. I'd like to avoid referencing exp files at all
for importing symbols, and let the loader figure out what symbols to import
from the object.

Thank you.