Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2016/10/26 00:25:14 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduation

Hi!

with the 1.0.0-incubating release officially out (huge kudos
to the team!) I think it is time we officially start our graduation
discussion. Process-wise graduation consists of drafting
a board resolution, getting it approved by the IPMC and finally
submitting it to the ASF board's consideration. At the very minimum
your resolution will contain:
    1. A name of the project (I assume that'll be Geode)
    2. A list of proposed PMC
    3. A proposed PMC chair
A good example of a resolution can be found here:
    http://markmail.org/message/7ow2kdqa3rdx3x5k

On #2 my suggestion would be to have an opt-in system. Basically
we will kick off the thread off on private@geode asking current PPMC
members if they are willing to continue on the PMC.

On #3 I typically recommend podlings I mento to setup a rotating chair
policy. This is, in no way, an ASF requirement so feel free to ignore it,
but it worked well before. The chair will be expected up for rotation every
year. It will be more that ok for the same person to self-nominate once
the year is up -- but at the same time it'll be up to the same person to
actually kick off a thread asking if anybody else is interested in serving
as a chair for the next year. Of course, if there multiple candidates there
will have to be a vote.

Speaking of self-nomination -- the same thread that we're going to kick
off as part of solving for #2 will ask for folks to self-nominate as an initial
chair to be listed on the resolution.

Unless somebody objects strongly to my #2 and #3 proposals I'm going
to kick of this thread on private@.

With that in mind, lets make the rest of the discussion on dev@ to be about
collecting the datapoints to present to IPCM as part of us asking them to
vote YES on our graduation. You can see my initial list of these data points
below. Please, please add yours:

Project status:
 http://incubator.apache.org/projects/geode.html

Maturity assessment:
 https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Geode+Podling+Maturity+Assessment

4 releases

2734 commits on develop
269 PR”s
92 contributors across all branches

dev list averaged ~650 msgs/month in 2016
user list averaged ~90 msgs/month in 2016
267 unique posters

1900 issues created
1230 issues resolved

6 new committers / PPMC members added

Quick bump:  as far as committer diversity goes here’s the picture:

committer domains
     reasonably active
          pivotal.io
          kollective.com (Mark Bretl)
          ampool.io
          silverspringnet.com (Sai Boorlagadda)

     inactive
          snappydata.io
          newrelic.com (Qihong)
          google.com (Sourabh)
          microsoft.com (Ashvin)
          weave.works (Stuart)
          elastic.co (Catherine)
          dell.com (Lyndon, …)
          vmware.com
          brsg.io
          cobaltdigital.marketing
          cdkglobal.com
          dev9.com

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Hi!

thanks for all the support so far! Based on all of the feedback collected
here and on private@ we've started a DISCUSS thread with the IPMC:
    http://markmail.org/thread/z4prj62hr7rn6cu6

Note that this is just that -- a DISCUSS thread. If you see something's
off its not too late to chime in on general@incubator.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Bruce Schuchardt <bs...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Le 10/25/2016 � 5:25 PM, Roman Shaposhnik a �crit :

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Hi!

we're at a final step of formal voting that is now going on over at
general@incubator:
    http://markmail.org/thread/hztte5f6meoluz2v
Please consider casting your vote there as well.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Swapnil Bawaskar <sb...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <uk...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Jens Deppe <jd...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Jared Stewart <js...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Joey McAllister <jm...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Michael Stolz <ms...@pivotal.io>.
+1

--
Mike Stolz
Principal Engineer - Gemfire Product Manager

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Hi!

It seems we have a reasonable consensus on the next steps. As promised --
I started a self-nomination thread on private@. Please take a look and make
sure to reply my midnight 11/1 PST.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by William Markito <wm...@pivotal.io>.
++1

Also totally agree with the proposed scheme of rotation for PPMCs

--

~/William

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
A quick update to the JIRA stats:

2035 issues created
1364 issues closed

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Xiaojian Zhou <gz...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Jianxia Chen <jc...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Anilkumar Gingade <ag...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Avinash Dongre <ad...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by yang theseus <th...@gmail.com>.
+1!

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Nitin Lamba <nl...@apache.org>.
+1!

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Nabarun Nag <nn...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Mark Bretl <as...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Ashvin A <aa...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 5:25 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:

>      inactive
>           microsoft.com (Ashvin)

:-(

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Greg Chase <gc...@gmail.com>.
+10000

This email encrypted by tiny buttons & fat thumbs, beta voice recognition, and autocorrect on my iPhone.