Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2012/11/15 08:17:25 UTC

Re: Proposal: "Ask OpenOffice" promotion

What a great idea. I'm copying this to the ComDev list so others can
consider it. Having said that this one reason this would work for AOO is
that it has such a large non-technical user community., something that's
not really true of other Apache projects.

If any projects adapt the idea please feed back here.

Sent from my tablet

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
<no...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We used Google Moderator before and it is really nice thing to use. I like
> the base of the idea, but I have one question what about the questions
> coming from users through the user(s)@ mailing list ? Would that make them
> feel isolated in case some of them would not like to use Google Moderator
> for any reason ?

Certainly some might be adverse to creating a Google ID for this
purpose.  But some of our users are (vocally) adverse to mailing lists
as well and don't want to share an email address publicly.  The nice
thing here is we can help transfer questions from other places.  So if
we get a question (as part of this promotion) to our Facebook page, or
Twitter or whatever, we can add it to moderator with a prefix like
[from Twitter, @foo].

-Rob

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>wrote:

> Joining a mailing list means signing up and wading through lots of emails
> one is not interested in. This proposal is a way to reach out to people who
> have a question but not the desire to engage with the community. There is
> no risk of isolation since these people wont come to those chanels. Note
> this is AOO where there are plenty of users who probsbly don't know how to
> manage a mailing list subscription (thats why AOO has user orums for
> example).
>
> Of course the response post should invite people to ask questions via the
> appropriate forum at any time. This is in addition to any usual user
> support and provides an opportunity for some good user outreach.
>
> Having said all this something like StackOverflow provides the voting
> benefits of moderator as well as the community/discussion benefits of a
> list/forum.

Hmmm, good explanation

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: Proposal: "Ask OpenOffice" promotion

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>wrote:

> Joining a mailing list means signing up and wading through lots of emails
> one is not interested in. This proposal is a way to reach out to people who
> have a question but not the desire to engage with the community. There is
> no risk of isolation since these people wont come to those chanels. Note
> this is AOO where there are plenty of users who probsbly don't know how to
> manage a mailing list subscription (thats why AOO has user orums for
> example).
>
> Of course the response post should invite people to ask questions via the
> appropriate forum at any time. This is in addition to any usual user
> support and provides an opportunity for some good user outreach.
>
> Having said all this something like StackOverflow provides the voting
> benefits of moderator as well as the community/discussion benefits of a
> list/forum.

Hmmm, good explanation

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: Proposal: "Ask OpenOffice" promotion

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: Proposal: "Ask OpenOffice" promotion

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour