Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Will Gwaltney <Wi...@sas.com> on 2005/05/23 19:23:16 UTC

[m2] Where in pom.xml to list dependent jars for an exec'ed app?

I'm currently writing a plugin to run Cobertura (a recent fork of jcoverage) by means of getRuntime.exec(...).  I've got the basics in place, but I'm now wondering where to specify the classpath for Cobertura itself.  It requires a number of jar files in order to run, and I'm not sure whether it would be better to list them as dependencies in the <dependencies> block for the project or to set them in the <plugin> block for the Cobertura plugin.  So I figured I'd tap into the collective wisdom of the mailing list.  What do you think?

Will

Will Gwaltney
SAS Institute
Will.Gwaltney@sas.com
919-531-9025
"mathematics is not just a cultural activity that we ourselves have created, but it has a life of its own" - Roger Penrose

Re: [m2] Where in pom.xml to list dependent jars for an exec'ed app?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Will,

The dependencies of the plugin itself will be loaded into the
classloader of the plugin. The last time we tried this, we just called
the classes directly, but jcoverage's reliance on System.exit caused
problems. Corbetura may have fixed that.

Here is an (out of date) plugin you could use as a base:
http://cvs.mojo.codehaus.org/mojo/maven-jcoverage-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/jcoverage/

If you do need to do a system.exec, for now you can hardcode the paths
to get it working and we'll make sure we get the API for it into
alpha-3. We need it for other plugins which have needed this too (eg the
jpox enhancer)

We will also be adding support to the lifecycle to better facilitate
this report - you might like to check out the design documents at
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Lifecycle

Thanks - do you intend to donate this to the Corbetura project?

Cheers,
Brett