Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael Suess <mi...@suessnetz.de> on 2004/12/07 17:06:20 UTC

German Translation of the Subversion Book by O'Reilly

Hi,

I just stumbled across this:
http://www.oreilly.de/catalog/subversger/index.html

It looks like O'Reilly is releasing a german translation of the book. Isn't a
community project on the way to translate the book into german as well? Do
they know about this?

Regards, Michael

Re: German Translation of the Subversion Book by O'Reilly

Posted by gerhard oettl <ge...@oesoft.at>.
>> Benjamin Lakeit <be...@gmx.de> reported on the german
>> translation-mailing-list, that selflinux has the permission to use
>> the translation of O'Reilly.
>
>I'm not sure what that means.  Is the O'Reilly German translation
>done, and under some sort of free license?

i dont know, i only have a short message from lakeit. For details
it would be best to contact him directly.

>What makes you think the authors were not watching these lists?  The
>point is that the authors didn't know about the O'Reilly translations
>until recently.

yes i see that my little knowledge of publishing business was one
basic reason for missunderstanding the situation. I thougt authors
are closer to (or more or less part of) the publishing-corporation.
I assumed that without thinking much about - now i know that my
assumtion was false.

>I'm sorry you wasted some time (if we now know that there is no hope
>of merging the two translations).  But do note that it is not the
>authors' fault.  They had no more information than you did.

dont worry. I dont regret and i dont want to blame someone.

i understand that the focus of the programmer and developer is on
the source and that it is out of scope to coordniate the translation
of the book with oreilly. And it was a new situtation that not
happened before.

my conclusion (and suggestion) is to give new translation teams
something like the following hint:
"please coordinate with oreilly (xxx@oreilly.com) before you begin
because maybe they also translate the book into the same language.
(If you dont do it is at your risk ;-) )"
may be this is also interesting for existing translation teams, but
they should now know from the mails about the german translation.

best wishes
gerhard

--
 .''`.
: :'  :    gerhard oettl

Re: German Translation of the Subversion Book by O'Reilly

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
gerhard oettl <ge...@oesoft.at> writes:
> >Actually, this thread raised the very large question of how to
> >integrate O'Reilly's efforts with the ongoing public documentation
> >work for Subversion.
>
> "very yes"
>
> Benjamin Lakeit <be...@gmx.de> reported on the german
> translation-mailing-list, that selflinux has the permission to use
> the translation of O'Reilly.

I'm not sure what that means.  Is the O'Reilly German translation
done, and under some sort of free license?

> So it raises the question how to coordinate with O'Reilly to avoid
> duplicate work. The foreword.xml of the book says:
> "The authors are still there, still watching, and they
>  include not just the three listed on the cover, but many others
>  who contributed corrections and original material."
> and i trusted in this.

I'm not sure what you mean by "i trusted in this", but if you're
implying that this turned out to be false, then I'm about to get all
prickly here :-).

What makes you think the authors were not watching these lists?  The
point is that the authors didn't know about the O'Reilly translations
until recently.  And when they did finally learn about the O'Reilly
work, it was only because they were watching this list, in fact!

> New (and maybe existing) translation teams should be informed that
> OReilly maybe does the same translation and that they should
> coordinate with ORailly (maybe a README - file in the book-directory?)

If we had known about it, of course we would have done all these
things.  (And when we did find out about it, we started to do these
things right away.)

> On the one hand by translating i learned much about subversion on
> the other hand there is a little bad taste that i could have
> spend my time by doing other work.

I'm sorry you wasted some time (if we now know that there is no hope
of merging the two translations).  But do note that it is not the
authors' fault.  They had no more information than you did.

-Karl

Re: German Translation of the Subversion Book by O'Reilly

Posted by gerhard oettl <ge...@oesoft.at>.
On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 03:23:09PM -0600, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
>"gerhard oettl" <ge...@oesoft.at> writes:
>> >I just stumbled across this:
>> >http://www.oreilly.de/catalog/subversger/index.html
>> >
>> >It looks like O'Reilly is releasing a german translation of the book. Isn't a
>> >community project on the way to translate the book into german as well? Do
>> >they know about this?
>
>Actually, this thread raised the very large question of how to
>integrate O'Reilly's efforts with the ongoing public documentation
>work for Subversion.

"very yes"

Benjamin Lakeit <be...@gmx.de> reported on the german
translation-mailing-list, that selflinux has the permission to use
the translation of O'Reilly.

So it raises the question how to coordinate with O'Reilly to avoid
duplicate work. The foreword.xml of the book says:
"The authors are still there, still watching, and they
 include not just the three listed on the cover, but many others
 who contributed corrections and original material."
and i trusted in this.

New (and maybe existing) translation teams should be informed that
OReilly maybe does the same translation and that they should
coordinate with ORailly (maybe a README - file in the book-directory?)

On the one hand by translating i learned much about subversion on
the other hand there is a little bad taste that i could have
spend my time by doing other work.

good luck and
all the best for the subversion-projekt
it is great software

gerhard

--
 .''`.
: :'  :    gerhard oettl

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz <gr...@titanium.sabren.com> writes:
> On 2004-12-10, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> > Actually, this thread raised the very large question of how to
> > integrate O'Reilly's efforts with the ongoing public documentation
> > work for Subversion.
> >
> > O'Reilly is accustomed to a traditional publishing model, where
> > "their" copy of the book is the "master", with translation efforts
> > based on that text, no need to do work publically, etc.  But they
> > might be willing to do things in a more open way, in partnership
> > with the public repository, so don't give up just yet.
> >
> > The book trio (Mike, Ben, Fitz) will have a conference call
> > on Monday with O'Reilly about this.  We'll make another post
> > after that.
>
> Did this follow up post happen with another subject? I haven't seen
> any answer to this thread so far.

There are private discussions going on over at O'Reilly now; there is
progress, it's just not visible yet.  I'm waiting to see what happens
before making another post.

Re: German Translation of the Subversion Book by O'Reilly

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz <gr...@titanium.sabren.com> writes:

> On 2004-12-10, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> > Actually, this thread raised the very large question of how to
> > integrate O'Reilly's efforts with the ongoing public documentation
> > work for Subversion.
> >
> > O'Reilly is accustomed to a traditional publishing model, where
> > "their" copy of the book is the "master", with translation efforts
> > based on that text, no need to do work publically, etc.  But they
> > might be willing to do things in a more open way, in partnership
> > with the public repository, so don't give up just yet.
> >
> > The book trio (Mike, Ben, Fitz) will have a conference call
> > on Monday with O'Reilly about this.  We'll make another post
> > after that.
>
> Did this follow up post happen with another subject? I haven't seen
> any answer to this thread so far.

I don't know if the follow-up thread happened.  But my understanding
is that we are waiting for feedback from O'Reilly (our editor is in
the process of contacting the translation teams, or something like
that).  Is that vague enough?  (Sorry.)  :-)

Re: German Translation of the Subversion Book by O'Reilly

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:20:11 +0000, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz
<gr...@titanium.sabren.com> wrote:
> On 2004-12-10, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> > Actually, this thread raised the very large question of how to
> > integrate O'Reilly's efforts with the ongoing public documentation
> > work for Subversion.
> >
> > O'Reilly is accustomed to a traditional publishing model, where
> > "their" copy of the book is the "master", with translation efforts
> > based on that text, no need to do work publically, etc.  But they
> > might be willing to do things in a more open way, in partnership
> > with the public repository, so don't give up just yet.
> >
> > The book trio (Mike, Ben, Fitz) will have a conference call
> > on Monday with O'Reilly about this.  We'll make another post
> > after that.
>
> Did this follow up post happen with another subject? I haven't seen
> any answer to this thread so far.

I've been aproached to tell them which translations are currently
under way. I've told him about all projects I know about (which
includes the Spanish one) and given e-mail addresses to contact if
they want to contact the translation team.

Hope that adds a bit more to the current status?

bye,

Erik.

Re: German Translation of the Subversion Book by O'Reilly

Posted by Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz <gr...@titanium.sabren.com>.
On 2004-12-10, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Actually, this thread raised the very large question of how to
> integrate O'Reilly's efforts with the ongoing public documentation
> work for Subversion.
>
> O'Reilly is accustomed to a traditional publishing model, where
> "their" copy of the book is the "master", with translation efforts
> based on that text, no need to do work publically, etc.  But they
> might be willing to do things in a more open way, in partnership
> with the public repository, so don't give up just yet.
>
> The book trio (Mike, Ben, Fitz) will have a conference call
> on Monday with O'Reilly about this.  We'll make another post
> after that.

Did this follow up post happen with another subject? I haven't seen
any answer to this thread so far.

Re: German Translation of the Subversion Book by O'Reilly

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"gerhard oettl" <ge...@oesoft.at> writes:
> >I just stumbled across this:
> >http://www.oreilly.de/catalog/subversger/index.html
> >
> >It looks like O'Reilly is releasing a german translation of the book. Isn't a
> >community project on the way to translate the book into german as well? Do
> >they know about this?
> >
> we did not.
> now we know - i forworded your mail to the svn-l10-de mailinglist.
> thank you for the pointer.
>
> there was no discussion about, because we didn't know, but i
> think we will stop because i dont see any sense to do
> duplicate work.

Actually, this thread raised the very large question of how to
integrate O'Reilly's efforts with the ongoing public documentation
work for Subversion.

O'Reilly is accustomed to a traditional publishing model, where
"their" copy of the book is the "master", with translation efforts
based on that text, no need to do work publically, etc.  But they
might be willing to do things in a more open way, in partnership with
the public repository, so don't give up just yet.

The book trio (Mike, Ben, Fitz) will have a conference call on Monday
with O'Reilly about this.  We'll make another post after that.

Best,
-Karl

Re: German Translation of the Subversion Book by O'Reilly

Posted by gerhard oettl <ge...@oesoft.at>.