Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Sylvain Vieujot <sv...@apache.org> on 2005/05/10 13:55:09 UTC

Vote for new displayValueOnly attribute

I don't want to over user the voting process, but I feel this issue
should be sorted.
I apologize for the ones that would be bothered by this, and here is the
new feature I propose to vote on :

- Add an interface similar to UserRoleAware, that some x: components
would implement.

- Add the matching attribute (no name decided yet, but let's use
displayValueOnly).
By default, displayValueOnly is false, and the components behaves as
they do today.
When displayValueOnly is true, no input widget is rendered. Only the
text corresponding to the component's value is displayed.

Examples :
For inputText, inputTextarea, inputHtml, the text is displayed as if it
where rendered by an outputText (with proper escape).
For radio buttons, check boxes, combo boxes & list boxes, only the
selected values are displayed.
For inputDate, the date is rendered

As suggested by Manfred, please remember that a negative binding vote on
a *feature addition* proposal means: showstopper, that prevents the
whole community from getting a (perhaps) valuable contribution. A -1
voter should at least present an alternative solution and should be
willing to implement it himself

Here is my +1 for this.

Thanks,

Sylvain.

Re: Vote for new displayValueOnly attribute

Posted by Sylvain Vieujot <sv...@apache.org>.
Hello Sean,

No, the work hasn't begun yet, but I would like this to be finished
roughly by the end of the week.

And frankly it starts to be much longer to discuss than to implement.
I have other proposals that would require a subproject, but for this
one, I would like this to really be resolved or refused.

Thanks,

Sylvain.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Sylvain,

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Grant,

Posted by Sylvain Vieujot <sv...@apache.org>.
Hello Grant,

I "think" they would be no difference from when you change another
attribute.
It's just another attribute that the renderer uses.

I'm cautious about this though, as I never use binding. So I might miss
something.

Sylvain.

Posted by Grant Smith <gr...@marathon-man.com>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.