Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/07 06:24:35 UTC

RESTful, WSDL 2.0 & WADL

Hi All,

I'd like to use a CXF dynamic client to call a RESTful service. I also want
to formally describe the RESTful service with a standard-based file.

My first choice was WSDL 2.0 since it is a standard.

Creating a client with JaxWsDynamicClientFactory fails with a WSDL 2.0
file. Is WSDL 2.0 on the roadmap?

Next up is WADL, an almost standard. I do not see any WADL samples in
2.7.10 or 3.0.0-m2.

Creating a WADL client with JaxWsDynamicClientFactory fails.

Can you please provide some guidance WRT WSDL 2.0, WADL, and dynamic
clients?

Thank you,
Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: RESTful, WSDL 2.0 & WADL

Posted by Jorge Williams <jo...@rackspace.com>.
We use WADL a lot at Rackspace for documentation and validation.  Description languages are good when you want to automate. We have dozens of complex internal services which we need to precisely document, validate, translate, etc. Doing this manually would take a fair amount of effort and would likely achieve inconsistent results.  We don’t expect our developers to consume our WADL directly, instead we create friendly documentation from it (see http://docs.rackspace.com) and we use it to confirm that our services are actually adhering to what the documentation says.

You can read more about our processes and how we use WADL here: http://www.balisage.net/Proceedings/vol8/html/Williams01/BalisageVol8-Williams01.html

-jOrGe W.

Re: RESTful, WSDL 2.0 & WADL

Posted by Bill Burke <bb...@redhat.com>.

Re: RESTful, WSDL 2.0 & WADL

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi
On 07/03/14 05:24, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to use a CXF dynamic client to call a RESTful service. I also want
> to formally describe the RESTful service with a standard-based file.
>
> My first choice was WSDL 2.0 since it is a standard.
>
> Creating a client with JaxWsDynamicClientFactory fails with a WSDL 2.0
> file. Is WSDL 2.0 on the roadmap?
>
> Next up is WADL, an almost standard. I do not see any WADL samples in
> 2.7.10 or 3.0.0-m2.
>
> Creating a WADL client with JaxWsDynamicClientFactory fails.
>
> Can you please provide some guidance WRT WSDL 2.0, WADL, and dynamic
> clients?

IMHO WADL is a better language for describing REST applications, it is
richer and more complete. I believe WSDL 2.0 is optimized for describing
WS services. I recall checking its RS binding and looking at the
generated code and I thought at a time it was rather limited. I think it
is difficult to have a single language describing adequately two
different styles.

I think the only reason WADL is not standard is that right now there's
no much industry interest in getting a standard language for describing
RS services, some developers think that if they start using WADL (or
other formal language) then they will have the purity of REST
applications minimized, I don't really share the concern, WADL can be
quote helpful in a number of cases, such as testing and the code
generation (i.e, it can support the people designing their schemas
first, etc). I believe that, in practice, those developers who want the
language support use WADL, unless they use WSDL2-supporting frameworks
like Axis 2 (I believe they support it)

IMHO it may make sense to offer a light-weight WSDL2 support in CXF
specifically to support the clients or servers already written with
WSDL2 in mind...

Sergey

Re: RESTful, WSDL 2.0 & WADL

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
JaxWsDyncamicClientFactory is for JAX-WS based services only, not JAX-RS.

WSDL2 is not on the roadmap as nobody (other than Axis2) supports it.  It’s pretty much gone no where.

There is a wadl2java tool (maven plugin, command line tool) that can be used to generate Java clients for a WADL.  That may be a help for you if that’s the direction you want to pursue.

Dan

On Mar 7, 2014, at 12:24 AM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to use a CXF dynamic client to call a RESTful service. I also want
> to formally describe the RESTful service with a standard-based file.
>
> My first choice was WSDL 2.0 since it is a standard.
>
> Creating a client with JaxWsDynamicClientFactory fails with a WSDL 2.0
> file. Is WSDL 2.0 on the roadmap?
>
> Next up is WADL, an almost standard. I do not see any WADL samples in
> 2.7.10 or 3.0.0-m2.
>
> Creating a WADL client with JaxWsDynamicClientFactory fails.
>
> Can you please provide some guidance WRT WSDL 2.0, WADL, and dynamic
> clients?
>
> Thank you,
> Gary

> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: RESTful, WSDL 2.0 & WADL

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
There were 3 replies

Sergey
On 17/03/14 18:46, Gary Gregory wrote:
> ping?
>
> Gary
>

> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 12:24 AM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'd like to use a CXF dynamic client to call a RESTful service. I also
>> want to formally describe the RESTful service with a standard-based file.
>>
>> My first choice was WSDL 2.0 since it is a standard.
>>
>> Creating a client with JaxWsDynamicClientFactory fails with a WSDL 2.0
>> file. Is WSDL 2.0 on the roadmap?
>>
>> Next up is WADL, an almost standard. I do not see any WADL samples in
>> 2.7.10 or 3.0.0-m2.
>>
>> Creating a WADL client with JaxWsDynamicClientFactory fails.
>>
>> Can you please provide some guidance WRT WSDL 2.0, WADL, and dynamic
>> clients?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Gary
>>
>> --