Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ola Nowak <ol...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/13 11:30:18 UTC

Can I run upgrade sstables on many nodes on one time

Hi all,
I'm trying to update my 6 node cluster from 2.0.11 to 2.1.8.
I'm following this update procedure:
http://docs.datastax.com/en/upgrade/doc/upgrade/cassandra/upgradeCassandraDetails.html
and the point 8 says: "If you are upgrading from a major version (for
example, from Cassandra 1.2 to 2.0) or a major point release (for example,
from Cassandra 2.0 to 2.1), upgrade the SSTables on each node.
$ nodetool upgradesstables"
As far as I understood it correctly I should run nodetool upgradesstables
on every node after upgrading the version on each node. Is that right?
As it is a really time consuming operation I wonder if I could run
upgradesstables on multiple nodes at one time ( parallelly)?
Regards,
Ola

RE: Can I run upgrade sstables on many nodes on one time

Posted by SE...@homedepot.com.
Yes, you should run upgradesstables on each node. If the sstable structure has changed, you will need this completed before you can do streaming operations like repairs or adding nodes.

As for running in parallel, that should be fine. It is a “within the node” operation that pounds I/O (but is capped by compaction threshold). You need to look at the level of activity from normal operations, though. If Cassandra is running without much stress/sweat, go ahead and run 2 at once. (Conservatively, that’s all I would do on 6 nodes.) If the cluster is inactive, let it fly on all nodes.

Sean Durity
Lead Cassandra Admin, Big Data Team

I'm trying to update my 6 node cluster from 2.0.11 to 2.1.8.
I'm following this update procedure: http://docs.datastax.com/en/upgrade/doc/upgrade/cassandra/upgradeCassandraDetails.html and the point 8 says: "If you are upgrading from a major version (for example, from Cassandra 1.2 to 2.0) or a major point release (for example, from Cassandra 2.0 to 2.1), upgrade the SSTables on each node.
$ nodetool upgradesstables"
As far as I understood it correctly I should run nodetool upgradesstables on every node after upgrading the version on each node. Is that right?
As it is a really time consuming operation I wonder if I could run upgradesstables on multiple nodes at one time ( parallelly)?
Regards,
Ola

The information in this Internet Email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this Email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this Email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in any applicable governing The Home Depot terms of business or client engagement letter. The Home Depot disclaims all responsibility and liability for the accuracy and content of this attachment and for any damages or losses arising from any inaccuracies, errors, viruses, e.g., worms, trojan horses, etc., or other items of a destructive nature, which may be contained in this attachment and shall not be liable for direct, indirect, consequential or special damages in connection with this e-mail message or its attachment.