Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Matt Madhavan <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/14 19:51:11 UTC

Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

Hello,
I'm trying to find some artifacts for creating Parent OSGi project and child
bundle projects. I used to use the maven pax pluggin before I converted to
Apache Karaf. (it used to create a project structure specific to Pax Runner
etc).

Anyway I would like to know how do a typical Karaf user creates his/her OSGi
Parent/Bundle projects? Is it done manually or is there a good Maven plugin
for that?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
I'm not so sure if we can really use that much of the pax plugin. There is
much structure and logic you typically do not use for a karaf project. The
question is: what exactly do you want the archetype for: a) a multiproject
karaf project or b) a single module. Both would be completely different
from the current pax structure. I would suggest not to use e.g. those osgi
files but rather define the logic directly in the pom. In addition I would
suggest to not use the parents/xxx pom structure but rather a clean head <-
child structure straight from the top to the bottom. In addition we'll need
a features/assembly project instead of the provision folder. I think that's
all.

WDYT?

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Matt,

sorry but I don't use Eclipse. I tested all archetypes in pure Maven
without problem.

I'm working on a set of new archetypes tonight. I will blog about that
tomorrow.

Regards
JB

On 12/15/2011 06:15 PM, Matt Madhavan wrote:
> Hello JB and Achim,
> Maven Pax Plugin might be a good starting point. Looks like it has not been
> updated for a while and does not work well at all with m2eclipse(When you
> try to create a bundle it totally cobbers the parent pom) and its tailored
> more towards PaxRunner.
>
> But I'm sure we can borrow lots of base knowledge and code from this.
>
> Just a thought!
>
> Thanks
> Matt

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
JB,

:) I suggest you grab another cup of coffee then ;)

regards, Achim

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
NB: the archetypes work (bad usage on my side ;), I need more coffee on
the morning :)

On 12/14/2011 11:32 PM, David Jencks wrote:
> We also have a karaf-assembly archetype (in trunk).
>
> I think that an archetype that uses the bundle packaging should be in felix next to the maven bundle plugin.    There's no need to hide it here.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On Dec 14, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Matt Madhavan wrote:
>
>> Hi JB,
>> Please keep me informed. I'm very interested in participating.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Matt
>>
>> --

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi David,

agree, but as felix doesn't provide one, I propose to create a set of
archetypes in Karaf (bundle, bundle-blueprint, web-bundle, war) and
donate each in target project (bundle, web-bundle and war to felix,
bundle-blueprint to aries).

I'm working on it right now.

NB: the assembly archetype doesn't work on trunk, I'm gonna fix that too.

Thanks
Regards
JB

On 12/14/2011 11:32 PM, David Jencks wrote:
> We also have a karaf-assembly archetype (in trunk).
>
> I think that an archetype that uses the bundle packaging should be in felix next to the maven bundle plugin.    There's no need to hide it here.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On Dec 14, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Matt Madhavan wrote:
>
>> Hi JB,
>> Please keep me informed. I'm very interested in participating.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Matt
>>
>> --

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Matt Madhavan <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Matt,

thanks for the update.

Currently, we have archetypes for command, feature and kar, but not for
bundle (web or not :)).

Anyway, I make sense for me to extend the existing ones with an
archetype dedicated to bundle.

I will work on it tomorrow and blog about that.

Regards
JB

On 12/14/2011 09:07 PM, Matt Madhavan wrote:
> Hi JB,
> Yes that would fulfill my needs. Also for bundles since most people are
> using BluePrint Maven Felix Plugin if the archetypes can create
> folders/structures for these features as well it will be great.
>
> Is there a working archetype for web now? May be I can extend it.
>
> Also when you create a parent project for Karaf based project if it creates
> a project for "features" also it will be great.
>
> Thanks
> Matt

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Matt,

on my side, I create the projects by hand.

We discussed early this afternoon with Charles to create some archetypes
(for web bundles, but it could make sense to have archetype for bundle).

Do you think that Maven archetype could fit your needs ?

Regards
JB

On 12/14/2011 07:51 PM, Matt Madhavan wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to find some artifacts for creating Parent OSGi project and child
> bundle projects. I used to use the maven pax pluggin before I converted to
> Apache Karaf. (it used to create a project structure specific to Pax Runner
> etc).
>
> Anyway I would like to know how do a typical Karaf user creates his/her OSGi
> Parent/Bundle projects? Is it done manually or is there a good Maven plugin
> for that?
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Matt