Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com> on 2002/02/09 00:12:45 UTC

xerces-c-1.7?

Hey Tinny et. al.,

I may have missed this earlier, but what are your group's plans for
new features in 1.7?

Also what is your time frame for releasing it?

Thanks,
jas.

Re: xerces-c-1.7?

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Tinny Ng" <tn...@ca.ibm.com> writes:

> "Jason E. Stewart" wrote:
>
> > Are there any new features to 1.7? My sense is that the main work has
> > been rounding out schema support issues, and perhaps patching memory
> > leaks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> The main work is sane_include.  Khaled has also added SAX2-ext
> DeclHandler.  Then there are a number of schema / IDOM / bugzilla fixes.
> You can check doc/releases.xml for more details.

Ah, I didn't realize that releases.xml was being kept up-to-date so
frequently, thanks Tinny.

> Right now, I don't have a concrete plan yet.  Something in my mind are
> Short Term:
> - investigating Lenny's patch (wrap IDOM / DOM)
> - investigating other build's patch submitted in bugzilla like "creating
> static lib", "use soname in linux" ... etc.
> - more schema / bugzilla fixes and enhancement
>
> Long Term:
> - claim IDOM as non-experimental, and make IDOM as Xerces-C++ official DOM
> C++ Binding, and fade-out old DOM
> - add partial "DOM Level 3" support to IDOM
> - provide 64 bit binary distribution
> ... etc.
>
> However I don't yet have a detail plan with target date / release
> schedule.  Once I have them more clear, I can create such files
> (RELEASE-PLAN / STATUS) and then start another thread in the mailing
> list to gather comments / input.

That would be excellent. I'll be happy to nag you every so often to
keep STATUS up-to-date ;-)

> > and the more clue I have the better I'll be able
> > to contribute to the project.
> >

> Any help is always appreciated and welcome.  Besides those short term /
> long term items listed above, we currently have roughly 100 outstanding
> bugzilla bugs sitting there, any help in reducing such number is also
> appreciated.

Agreed. I'm likely to receive external funding to do some more XML
work (writing a book, editing a book, as well as basic support). I
hope that will give me more cycles to add to the project.

Re: xerces-c-1.7?

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.

"Jason E. Stewart" wrote:

> Yes, as well the DOM Serializer code that Evert Haasdijk resubmits to
> the list every so often.

The DOM Level 3 is supposed to address the DOM serialization issue through
the Load and Save specification.  So instead of implementing our own
serializer code, we prefer to make use of standard interface.  And that's
why we didn't apply Evert's patch.   As far as I heard, the DOM Level 3
has been making progress, and hopefully we can get something within this
year.

Tinny

Re: xerces-c-1.7?

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.

Re: xerces-c-1.7?

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@decisionsoft.com>.
I like this idea, but at the very least perhaps we could have a page with
links on off http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/index.html. This would
probably be quicker in setting up and I'm sure would help a lot of people.

Gareth

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Radovan Chytracek wrote:

> May be it's the right time to consider a "contrib" feature of Xerces-C. I
> mean to create a place where the various user contributions can be submitted
> in a form of let's say Xerces-C extension DLLs or plug-ins. For example
> XPath or XLink implementations working with Xerces-C could be the good
> candidates for a user contribution. May be other features could come later
> like XUpdate and etc..
>
> Cheers
>
>        Radovan

Gareth Reakes, Head of Product Development
DecisionSoft Ltd.            http://www.decisionsoft.com
Office: +44 (0) 1865 203192

Re: xerces-c-1.7?

Re: xerces-c-1.7?

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.

Re: xerces-c-1.7?

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
Hey Tinny,

"Tinny Ng" <tn...@ca.ibm.com> writes:

> After the sane_include change, we do plan to call for Xerces-C++ 1.7
> sometime this week .... you just beat us :-)

Are there any new features to 1.7? My sense is that the main work has
been rounding out schema support issues, and perhaps patching memory
leaks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

> Anyway let me formally call for Xerces-C++ 1.7 here.  Please test
> your project files / build environment with the latest nightly build
> to verify the latest sane_include change.  Anyone has any urgent fix
> or important code wanna to get in, please do so or please let us
> know.  Unless we hear any on-hold request, our target date for
> Xerces-C++ 1.7 should be sometime early March.

I mentioned this once before, but I don't think it raised much of a
discussion. Over the past 14 months that I've been a committer on the
xml project (via xerces-p) I've noticed that most of the planning of
the Xerces-C project occurrs off the mailing list.

It seems to me that this is because it is your team in Toronto that
does the majority of the work, and so I guess most of the design
decisions take place there as well.

The xerces-c-dev mailing list serves primarily as a forum for
reporting bugs and submitting patches. This leaves most of us clueless
as to the major directions that your group decides to take the
project.

It would be very useful if you could publish an outline of the
direction that you see the project taking over the short term (say
three months) and the longer term (say one year). Things seemed
clearer when your target was getting schema support finished, but now
that is done, I'm kind of at a loss to see what is happening in the
larger perspective, and the more clue I have the better I'll be able
to contribute to the project.

Cheers,
jas.

Re: xerces-c-1.7?

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
After the sane_include change, we do plan to call for Xerces-C++ 1.7
sometime this week .... you just beat us :-)

Anyway let me formally call for Xerces-C++ 1.7 here.  Please test your
project files / build environment with the latest nightly build to verify
the latest sane_include change.  Anyone has any urgent fix or important
code wanna to get in, please do so or please let us know.   Unless we
hear any on-hold request, our target date for Xerces-C++ 1.7 should be
sometime early March.

Thanks!

Regards,

Tinny Ng