Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by David M Johnson <Da...@Sun.COM> on 2006/01/05 23:09:25 UTC

Re: Themes: Contributing

Greg,

Some of our design gurus at Sun are interested in helping out with
some implementation pointers help you get started with theme
development. Would you be interested in a having a short tele-con to
kick things off?

Regading guidelies: the only guidelines we have now are in the user
guide about packaging themes, I think that's about all we have. See
section 6.4.

http://people.apache.org/~snoopdave/doc_drafts/roller-user-guide-210.pdf

There are also a couple of proposals on the table:

I believe this one is already in Roller (right Allen?)
http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?
page=Proposal_StandardizedPageNames

And this one is still pending?
http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?
page=Proposal_StandardizedTemplates

- Dave

Re: Themes: Contributing

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 14:09, David M Johnson wrote:
> Greg,
>
> Some of our design gurus at Sun are interested in helping out with
> some implementation pointers help you get started with theme
> development. Would you be interested in a having a short tele-con to
> kick things off?
>
> Regading guidelies: the only guidelines we have now are in the user
> guide about packaging themes, I think that's about all we have. See
> section 6.4.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~snoopdave/doc_drafts/roller-user-guide-210.pdf

I sent a response back before Christmas about some aspects of our themes implementation that could probably use some additional thought.  I don't think it will really affect how the themes are created, but we may want to think about themes are packaged and deployed.

> There are also a couple of proposals on the table:
>
> I believe this one is already in Roller (right Allen?)
> http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?
> page=Proposal_StandardizedPageNames
>
> And this one is still pending?
> http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?
> page=Proposal_StandardizedTemplates

actually, those are the same thing and yes, i've already commited that code.  I actually scaled back the implementation so that we only do 2 things ...

1. manually force all weblogs to use "Weblog" as the default page link.  this is done via the Roller 2.1 upgrade procedure.

2. lock certain templates so they can't be changed.  those include Weblog, _css, _day, _decorator.  As of Roller 2.1 a user can only edit the contents of those templates, not the name, description, or link.  Users also can't delete those templates either.

this shouldn't affect anything either, just as long as they don't deviate from our standard template names.

-- Allen

Re: Themes: Contributing

Posted by Greg Hamer <ro...@gmail.com>.
Dave,

Regarding a telecon, no problem.  With a day or two's advance notice, I can clear my schedule for whatever time is convenient for the rest of the participants.  fyi ... I am on Pacific Standard Time.

Ultimately, I think the result of our effort could be an expanded version of the current User Guide section on "Customizing your weblog's theme".

My target audience is design students.  For them I believe that Roller themes present a unique but valuable challenge.  Unique in that from a design perspective, designing with Velocimacros and multipage templates (Weblog, _day, etc) adds a level of complexity design students may not have yet encountered.  Valuable in that designing for dynamic sites is an important skill (versus, say, the designs at the highly regarded csszengarden.com which uses static content), and contributing to an open source project will get work from their portfolio into the public domain (i.e. a nice reference).

btw ... both Allen and Matt's comments from last week would definately be reflected in process.

Please let me know when will be a convenient time for the call.

            Best regards,

Some of our design gurus at Sun are interested in helping out with some implementation pointers help you get started with theme development. Would you be interested in a having a short tele-con to kick things off?

Regarding guidelines: the only guidelines we have now are in the user guide about packaging themes, I think that's about all we have. See section 6.4.

http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Proposal_StandardizedTemplates