Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Venkatg <ve...@yahoo.com> on 2006/08/23 12:01:15 UTC

Number of Topics

Hi All,

  In my application I started using selector and everything working fine.
But during the developement I found that to set some specific filter
selector is not enough.Here is my problem look at the selector string below

  MGMTID IN (‘MD1’,'MD2', 'MD3')

Here “MGMTID” is a string property which gets set on the server side when
ever message is published.  But when a node is participating in multiple
admin domains for example node N1 in “MD1,MD2” then property “MGMTID” will
have multiple values so “IN” condition will fail. To solve this problem we
thought of using Wildcards

MD1.*
MD2.*

But the problem(?) with this approach is we will end up in creating 65000
topics both on publisher side and Consumer side. Are any know limit on the
number of topics? If not any idea on memory requirement?

Thanks
 Venkat

Re: Number of Topics

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
In your case you want to use OR though rather than AND :)

Re: Number of Topics

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
I just meant you can replace

Re: Number of Topics

Posted by Venkatg <ve...@yahoo.com>.
James,

Re: Number of Topics

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Number of Topics

Posted by Venkatg <ve...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Number of Topics

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Number of Topics

Posted by Venkatg <ve...@yahoo.com>.

Hi James,

Re: Number of Topics

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
There's no limit on destinations though it does use up RAM on brokers.

A work around for your problem is to use a header for each domain then
you can do something like

MD1 = true and MD2 = true and MD3 = true

etc

On 8/23/06, Venkatg <ve...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>   In my application I started using selector and everything working fine.
> But during the developement I found that to set some specific filter
> selector is not enough.Here is my problem look at the selector string below
>
>   MGMTID IN ('MD1','MD2', 'MD3')
>
> Here "MGMTID" is a string property which gets set on the server side when
> ever message is published.  But when a node is participating in multiple
> admin domains for example node N1 in "MD1,MD2" then property "MGMTID" will
> have multiple values so "IN" condition will fail. To solve this problem we
> thought of using Wildcards
>
> MD1.*
> MD2.*
>
> But the problem(?) with this approach is we will end up in creating 65000
> topics both on publisher side and Consumer side. Are any know limit on the
> number of topics? If not any idea on memory requirement?
>
> Thanks
>  Venkat

James
-------