Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Pankaj Tandon <pa...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/02 16:40:15 UTC

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Hello Rob,
I wanted to ask you about your comment below where you state that even if you have an annotation in a mojo for the execution phase, you still have to declare an executions element for the very same phase in the project that invkes this plugin.

That, kind of defeats the purpose of having a default phase specified in the Mojo, does it not? And it certainly doesn't work that way for other plugins (the war plugin for instance that is bound to the package phase).

So am I missing something here or is this a bug introduced with 2.0.10?

Thanks
Pankaj

Okay, my mistake - although it was indeed the 2.1.0 mvn which was in my
path, I had forgotten to change the value of my M2_HOME environment
variable.

Therefore, it was actually 2.0.10 which was being executed, which was why my
goal was being ignored.

And anyway, I had wrongly assumed that adding the '@phase prepare-package'
annotation to the mojo was enough to trigger the goal's execution - you
confirm that this works fine.

Many thanks to Brett for asistance.

Rob

RE: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
The @phase will automatically cause a plugin to run at that phase, but
the plugin must still be mentioned in the pom.

RE: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
The war plugin is introduced by the lifecycle. The mappings are
dependent on the packaging type. More info is available here:
http://www.sonatype.com/books/maven-book/reference/simple-project-sect-l
ifecycle.html

Posted by Pankaj Tandon <pa...@gmail.com>.
Rob,
Thanks! That clarifies things.

Pankaj

Sorry, I should have added that the <execution><goal> element is only
required if the goal is not one of those in the lifecycle (corresponding to
the packaging type).

Rob, Lafros.com

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Rob Dickens <ar...@googlemail.com>.
Sorry, I should have added that the <execution><goal> element is only
required if the goal is not one of those in the lifecycle (corresponding to
the packaging type).

2009/4/2 Pankaj Tandon <pa...@gmail.com>

> Rob and Brian,
> Thanks for the response. However, how then does the maven-war-plugin run. I
> do NOT specify an execution section for that plugin, and it runs in the
> package phase.
> So I am not sure why is it necessary to mention the execution element at
> all (with or without a phase). Just the plugin with a generic configuration
> node should do.
>
> Still confused,
> Pankaj
>

> > you still have to declare an executions element for the very same phase
> in
> the project that invkes this plugin.
>
> That's right, except you don't have to specify the phase - the one declared
> by the mojo will be assumed.
>
> 2009/4/2 Pankaj Tandon <pa...@gmail.com>
>

> > Hello Rob,
> > I wanted to ask you about your comment below where you state that even if
> > you have an annotation in a mojo for the execution phase, you still have
> > declare an executions element for the very same phase in the project that
> > invkes this plugin.
> >
> > That, kind of defeats the purpose of having a default phase specified in
> > the Mojo, does it not? And it certainly doesn't work that way for other
> > plugins (the war plugin for instance that is bound to the package phase).
> >
> > So am I missing something here or is this a bug introduced with 2.0.10?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Pankaj
> >

> > Okay, my mistake - although it was indeed the 2.1.0 mvn which was in my
> > path, I had forgotten to change the value of my M2_HOME environment
> > variable.
> >
> > Therefore, it was actually 2.0.10 which was being executed, which was why
> > my
> > goal was being ignored.
> >
> > And anyway, I had wrongly assumed that adding the '@phase
> prepare-package'
> > annotation to the mojo was enough to trigger the goal's execution - you
> > confirm that this works fine.
> >
> > Many thanks to Brett for asistance.
> >
> > Rob
> >
> > 2009/3/25 Rob Dickens <ar...@googlemail.com>