Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu> on 2009/11/09 17:39:09 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3

Hi,

OK, here we go, another alpha release of Maven, for all those brave guys
that want to take it for a test drive ;-)

We solved many issues:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=14719

There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&status=1

Staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-004/

Staged source and binary distros:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-004/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-alpha-3/

Guide to testing staged releases:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

Vote open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

+1 from me

Benjamim

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Hi,

The vote has passed with the following result:

+1 (binding): Benjamin Bentmann, Arnaud Héritier, Olivier Lamy, Jason
van Zyl, Stéphane Nicoll, Dan Fabulich, Brian Fox, Brett Porter, Vincent
Siveton, John Casey, Hervé Boutemy

+1 (non-binding): Stephen Connolly, Stuart McCulloch, Paul Benedict,
Tony Chemit, Kristian Rosenvold, Paul Gier

+0: Henri Gomez

I will promote the artifacts to the central repository and continue with
the release. Thanks for all the feedback!

Benjamin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
+1

Posted by Paul Gier <pg...@redhat.com>.
+1

Re: Possible problems with snapshot updates in Maven 3.0-alpha-3 (was Re: Re : [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3)

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> If you have -U specified and the maven-metadata-nexus.xml for this
> parent POM in your local repo is not updated to match the one in your
> Nexus, that's indeed a bug. I'll look into it for alpha-4.

Confirmed and tracked in [0]. If you like, CI already produced a fixed
snapshot [1].

Benjamin

[0] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4433
[1]
https://grid.sonatype.org/ci/job/maven-3.0.x-bootstrap/jdk=1.5,label=ubuntu/

Possible problems with snapshot updates in Maven 3.0-alpha-3 (was Re: Re : [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3)

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Re : Re : Re : [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3

Posted by Julien HENRY <he...@yahoo.fr>.
OK, thanks

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

--
Olivier

2009/11/12 Julien HENRY <he...@yahoo.fr>:
> Another issue I have with Maven 3: trying to deploy an artifact with release:perform, I get the following error:
>
> [INFO] [ERROR] Error deploying artifact: Unsupported Protocol: 'dav': Cannot find wagon which supports the requested protocol: dav -> [Help 1]
> [INFO] [ERROR]
>
> Is it a known issue?

Olivier

Re : Re : [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3

Posted by Julien HENRY <he...@yahoo.fr>.

Posted by Julien HENRY <he...@yahoo.fr>.
Hi,

I don't know if it is related to Maven 3, but I'm not able to update to a newer SNAPSHOT that is available in my corporate repository, even by using the -U command line option. It seems Maven is not even asking the repository manager for a new version.

What's wrong?

> mvn compile -U -X
Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3 (r834122; 2009-11-09 17:04:41+0100)

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[DEBUG] Determining update check for snapshot com.mycompany:project-parent:1-SNAPSHOT (D:\.m2\repository\com\mycompany\project-parent\1-SNAPSHOT\maven-metadata-nexus.xml) from nexus (http://nexus.mycompany.fr/content/groups/all)
[DEBUG] Searching for: nexus.maven-metadata-nexus.xml.lastUpdated in touchfile.
[DEBUG] Reading resolution-state from: D:\.m2\repository\com\mycompany\project-parent\1-SNAPSHOT\resolver-status.properties
[DEBUG] project-parent: resolved to version 1-20091110.084931-1 from repository nexus

In the Nexus repository I have:

project-parent-1-20091110.084931-1.pom
project-parent-1-20091110.085551-2.pom

Removing D:\.m2\repository\com\mycompany\project-parent\1-SNAPSHOT\resolver-status.properties is a workaround, but I was expecting -U option to force SNAPSHOT update whatever is in the local repository...

Regards,

Julien

Re: IT failure (was: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3)

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
That sounds like the one that is supposed to be fixed in alpha-4

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
+1

On 2009-11-10, at 10:03 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:

> +1
> Tested with company builds.
> Just a remark : the release note need to include some links to asf
> wiki regarding compatibility and site plugin.

> Olivier
>
> 2009/11/9 Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> OK, here we go, another alpha release of Maven, for all those brave
>> guys
>> that want to take it for a test drive ;-)
>>
>> We solved many issues:
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=14719
>>
>> There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&status=1
>>
>> Staging repo:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-004/
>>
>> Staged source and binary distros:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-004/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-alpha-3/
>>
>> Guide to testing staged releases:
>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-
>> releases.html
>>
>> Vote open for 72 hours.
>>
>> [ ] +1
>> [ ] +0
>> [ ] -1
>>
>> +1 from me
>>

>> Benjamim

> Olivier

Jason

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1
Tested with company builds.
Just a remark : the release note need to include some links to asf
wiki regarding compatibility and site plugin.

Olivier

2009/11/9 Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>:
> Hi,
>
> OK, here we go, another alpha release of Maven, for all those brave guys
> that want to take it for a test drive ;-)
>
> We solved many issues:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=14719
>
> There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&status=1
>
> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-004/
>
> Staged source and binary distros:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-004/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-alpha-3/
>
> Guide to testing staged releases:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>
> +1 from me
>

> Benjamim

Olivier

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
+1

Hervé

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
+1, seems to run well here.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vs...@apache.org>.
+1

Vincent

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.
It's clear that the consensus is against landing MNG-3004 for alpha-3, so
I'll pull back.

I've tested alpha-3 against several builds and found it good, thanks to
Benjamin's quick bugfixing last week.

+1

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
> I haven't tested alpha-3 yet, but I don't want to see anything derail that,
> since it's been a long time coming. I think it would be better for issues
> found after the last 11 months of changes to be separate from anything
> introduced by a multi-threaded build.

Agreed. Unless you can attach the new code in such a way that a
default of 0 causes the exact old code to run, I think it's too risky.
(My assumption on Friday was that this was the case) We've been
running the current code and incrementally improving stability, I
wouldn't want that thrown out the window with a break in the new code.
Having in the trunk for Alpha-4 is going to get plenty of testing
prior to a release since we run the trunk at Sonatype for Nexus and on
the grid.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 10/11/2009, at 2:05 PM, Dan Fabulich wrote:

> I just posted a proposal that the code I checked in before this
> announcement should make it in to alpha-3.
>
> I think if I vote -1 that will veto the release.  I don't think
> that's professional (I did just break the build three days before
> the release vote, and I'm still quite ashamed by it), so I'll just
> say -0.9.

There's no vetoes on releases.

> I think we should land the MNG-3004 branch to trunk and cut a new RC
> for alpha-3.
>
> Otherwise, I guess I'll try to kick off an alpha-4 vote shortly
> after alpha-3, which seems wasteful.

Versions are cheap :)

I haven't tested alpha-3 yet, but I don't want to see anything derail
that, since it's been a long time coming. I think it would be better
for issues found after the last 11 months of changes to be separate
from anything introduced by a multi-threaded build.

- Brett

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3

Re: Compat problems between Maven 3.0-alpha-3 and plugin (was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3)

Posted by Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com>.
Le Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:48:18 +0100,
Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu> a écrit :

> Tony Chemit wrote:
>
> > Any idea about it ?
>
> Sorry, not from those few bits of info. Please fill an issue at
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG with as much information attached as
> available. I ideally need something to reproduce, so a minimal test
> project or the SVN URL to your project with steps to reproduce would be
> cool.

I try to have a deeper look of the problem and then fill a FIRA if not resolved ;)

> Benjamin

Tony Chemit

Compat problems between Maven 3.0-alpha-3 and plugin (was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3)

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com>.
Le Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:26:23 +0100,
Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com> a écrit :

> Le Mon, 09 Nov 2009 17:39:09 +0100,
> Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu> a écrit :
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > OK, here we go, another alpha release of Maven, for all those brave guys
> > that want to take it for a test drive ;-)
> >
> +1, but some of our plugins does not works any longer.
>
> In the defect plugin, we use the maven 2.2.1 version, perharps something is
> no more available, I'll have a look on it.

The problem come with a plexus component which is not well instanciated, is something has changed on this point ?

The funny (?) thing is that before the pb, we use previous goal of the same plugin which use the same plexus component ? So I don't understand why it works
for the n-first goal execution then suddenly failed ?

Any idea about it ?

>Otherwise it seems fine for common usage :) I like the new message in
> console :)
>
> Tony.
>
> > We solved many issues:
> > http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=14719
> >
> > There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
> > http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&status=1
> >
> > Staging repo:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-004/
> >
> > Staged source and binary distros:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-004/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-alpha-3/
> >
> > Guide to testing staged releases:
> > http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
> >
> > Vote open for 72 hours.
> >
> > [ ] +1
> > [ ] +0
> > [ ] -1
> >
> > +1 from me
> >

> > Benjamim

Tony Chemit

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3

Posted by Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com>.
Le Mon, 09 Nov 2009 17:39:09 +0100,
Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> OK, here we go, another alpha release of Maven, for all those brave guys
> that want to take it for a test drive ;-)

+1, but some of our plugins does not works any longer.

In the defect plugin, we use the maven 2.2.1 version, perharps something is no more available, I'll have a look on it.

Otherwise it seems fine for common usage :) I like the new message in console :)

Tony.

> We solved many issues:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=14719
>
> There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&status=1
>
> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-004/
>
> Staged source and binary distros:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-004/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-alpha-3/
>
> Guide to testing staged releases:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>
> +1 from me
>

> Benjamim

Tony Chemit

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
+1 on alpha 3 for my large corporate build (previously untested on 3.x
range). A nice 10% faster than 2.2.1 too.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
+1 with my builds.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/11/10 Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>

> Hi,
>
> OK, here we go, another alpha release of Maven, for all those brave guys
> that want to take it for a test drive ;-)
>
> We solved many issues:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=14719
>
> There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&status=1
>
> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-004/
>
> Staged source and binary distros:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-004/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-alpha-3/
>
> Guide to testing staged releases:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>
> +1 from me

+1 (non-binding)  successfully built the complete Apache Felix build using
alpha-3

Benjamim

Cheers, Stuart

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Stéphane

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Benjamin Bentmann <benjamin.bentmann@udo.edu

> OK, here we go, another alpha release of Maven, for all those brave guys
> that want to take it for a test drive ;-)
>
> We solved many issues:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=14719
>
> There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&status=1
>
> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-004/
>
> Staged source and binary distros:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-004/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-alpha-3/
>
> Guide to testing staged releases:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>
> +1 from me
>

> Benjamim

Large Systems Suck: This rule is 100% transitive. If you build one, you
suck" -- S.Yegge

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-3

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
+0 (non binding)

I'm using m2eclipse from the trunk, using the embedded maven 3 from
the trunk, to build several in-house projects.
No problems for now

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.