Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Steven Murphy <di...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/16 21:43:42 UTC

where is contrib package?

The tutorial does a good job of telling me about the contribution package:

"There are several custom socket factories available in our contribution
package. They can be a good start for those who seek to tailor the behavior
of the HTTPS protocol to the specific needs of their application:
 EasySSLProtocolSocketFactory<http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta/commons/proper/httpclient/trunk/src/contrib/org/apache/commons/httpclient/contrib/ssl/EasySSLProtocolSocketFactory.java?view=markup>can
be used to create SSL connections ..."

However, it doesn't go far enough and actually tell me where to find this
"contribution package".  The author must not realize how difficult it is to
find something like this without prior knowledge of it's existance.  So  can
someone please  shed some light on where this package can be found?   Yes, I
tried Google without luck.  Yes I tried looking  in the mailing list
archive, but frankly without a search function, it's a bit  tedious to look
through countless pages  looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Re: where is contrib package?

Posted by Julius Davies <ju...@cucbc.com>.
Try checking it out of subversion.  Or you can cut & paste the code from
those two classes.  That's all you need.

Or....

I've been experimenting with a slightly different approach:

http://juliusdavies.ca/commons-ssl/

But be careful.  Too many people are just using
"EasySSLProtocolSocketFactory" to get their systems working, and they're
not realizing the implications.  EasySSLProtocolSocketFactory breaks the
security model of public PKI.  If you use "Easy", you're not much better
off than "http://" !

I would use this instead if possible:

http://juliusdavies.ca/commons-ssl/TrustExample.java.html

(it's slightly out of date since I've renamed some things - I'll post a
fix in a couple hours)

yours,

Julius

--
Julius Davies
Senior Application Developer, Technology Services

1441 Creekside Drive
Vancouver, BC
Canada
V6J 4S7

Re: where is contrib package?

Posted by Steven Murphy <di...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.  I finally found it in the source tree.  I was expecting a
pre-compiled JAR or something.  Bad asumption on my part, I guess.

Re: where is contrib package?