Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/26 19:20:57 UTC

JIRA clean up for Java components

Hi all,

We have an enormous amount of outstanding JIRAs, with around 700 open,
and close to 400 of these are for the Java client and broker. Many of
these issues will have been fixed and the JIRA just not updated
(duplicated?), many will no longer be relevant at all due to years of
subsequent change, and many could be valid but will never be fixed.
Regardless, having so many outstanding issues makes it hard to
actually keep JIRA in check and know what the important issues to look
at are, or what work is being done in general. We need to seriously
tidy things up and then keep it tidy going forward.

To that end, Rob Godfrey and I have both looked through the entire
list of outstanding issues for the Java client and broker and picked
out some issues we thought should be retained, leaving some 260 issues
remaining as things that either appeared to be resolved already or
should just be closed because it is probable no one will ever look at
them again. You can find the reduced list at:
http://people.apache.org/~robbie/qpid/OpenJavaJIRAs.pdf

We intend to close these JIRAs out at the end of next week, marking
them with a new fix-for or tag that will allow them to be found in
future and restored if need be. I would ask that people look at the
list and suggest if there is anything you think ought to be retained
in its current state instead.

Robbie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: JIRA clean up for Java components

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 1 September 2011 19:59, Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 August 2011 18:20, Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have an enormous amount of outstanding JIRAs, with around 700 open,
>> and close to 400 of these are for the Java client and broker. Many of
>> these issues will have been fixed and the JIRA just not updated
>> (duplicated?), many will no longer be relevant at all due to years of
>> subsequent change, and many could be valid but will never be fixed.
>> Regardless, having so many outstanding issues makes it hard to
>> actually keep JIRA in check and know what the important issues to look
>> at are, or what work is being done in general. We need to seriously
>> tidy things up and then keep it tidy going forward.
>>
>> To that end, Rob Godfrey and I have both looked through the entire
>> list of outstanding issues for the Java client and broker and picked
>> out some issues we thought should be retained, leaving some 260 issues
>> remaining as things that either appeared to be resolved already or
>> should just be closed because it is probable no one will ever look at
>> them again. You can find the reduced list at:
>> http://people.apache.org/~robbie/qpid/OpenJavaJIRAs.pdf
>>
>> We intend to close these JIRAs out at the end of next week, marking
>> them with a new fix-for or tag that will allow them to be found in
>> future and restored if need be. I would ask that people look at the
>> list and suggest if there is anything you think ought to be retained
>> in its current state instead.
>>
>> Robbie
>>

> Just a reminder that this will be happening either over the weekend or
> on Monday...
>
> Robbie

This is now done. Any volunteers for the other components? :)

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.