Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Paul Moloney <pa...@hotmail.com> on 2007/02/20 13:17:50 UTC

0.93: Multi-page table Corrupted

I've upgraded our doc build process from 0.25 to 0.93. In PDF output with
0.25, a table could span multiple pages, with the table header appearing on
each page.

However, with 0.93, the table stops on one page; subsequent rows aren't
printed. Also, the bottom of the table is corrupted. Just two examples: the
table title appears in the middle of a row, and the table overwrites the
page footer.

The following image of the page illustrates better than I can describe:

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5849/corrupttableia3.png

Does anyone know why I would be getting this result?

Thanks in advance,

-pm

Re: 0.93: Multi-page table Corrupted

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Feb 21, 2007, at 10:23, Chris Bowditch wrote:

> Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
> That's a little unfair. If the user wants help to analyse a problem
> then it's not unreasonable to expect them to provide the file in a
> convenient well formatted fashion.

Sorry Chris, I was perhaps a bit too enthusiastic yesterday. It was
not meant as reproach of any kind. It was more meant as a little
laugh, and I certainly didn't question your skills --on the contrary.
This just reminded me of a very skilled colleague of mine, who once
reinvented the light-bulb as a matter of speaking. Of course, later
on, the portion of code he wrote for that turned out to have quite a
few bugs...

Anyway, since this happened on fop-users@, I cc'ed the list as well,
so everyone gets a clearer picture of what I meant by that remark.

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: 0.93: Multi-page table Corrupted

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Feb 20, 2007, at 16:52, Chris Bowditch wrote:

> paul_moloney wrote:
>
>> Hi Pascal,
>> An excerpt from the fo file showing just the table is here:
>> http://utils.eurion.net/pastebin/index.php?13546
>

> Unfortunately its difficult to use this FO file because paste bin
> has escaped all the quotes, so I would have to write a process to
> unescape them! Or do it by hand - ouch.

Errm... So you would write a process? ;)
How about opening it in some text editor, and doing a replace of all
\" with "?

Cheer

Re: 0.93: Multi-page table Corrupted

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
paul_moloney wrote:

> Hi Pascal,
>
> An excerpt from the fo file showing just the table is here:
>
> http://utils.eurion.net/pastebin/index.php?13546
>
> The entire FO file, if you need to see the table in context, is here
> (there's only 1 table in this slimmed-down version and it's at the end):
>
> http://utils.eurion.net/pastebin/index.php?58342

Unfortunately its difficult to use this FO file because paste bin has
escaped all the quotes, so I would have to write a process to unescape
them! Or do it by hand - ouch.

One thing I noticed about your table is that it has
border-collapse="collapse" specified but this is not currently
supported. In fact, specifying may activate an incomplete implementation
which because its not finished may cause the strange affects that you've
seen.

For further analysis please attached the file to an e-mail or upload it
to a site which doesn't manipulate the file in some way.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: [SPAM] 0.93: Multi-page table Corrupted - Solution!

Posted by paul_moloney <pa...@hotmail.com>.
Hinrich Aue on the docbook-apps mailing list offered the following solution:

Add the following to your customization layer:

<xsl:attribute-set name="table.properties">
     <xsl:attribute name="keep-together.within-column">auto</xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>

Is the current corruption shown a problem with fop, or a problem with the
default docbook-xsl stylesheets?

Regards,

P.

Re: [SPAM] 0.93: Multi-page table Corrupted

Posted by paul_moloney <pa...@hotmail.com>.
Hi there,

I've looked into this more; this time I tried to build the doc using a dummy
customisation layer (which simply references the docbook-xsl-1.72.0
stylesheets).  The dummy customisation layer is here:

http://www.pasteserver.net/196

The output still has the corrupted table. The new FO excerpt including the
table is here:

http://www.pasteserver.net/197

This seems to indicate it's nothing to do with my customisation layer.
However, the following error messages in the FOP output may be of use:

 [fop] WARNING: table-layout="fixed" and column-width unspecified => falling
back to proportional-column-width(1)
      [fop] 21-Feb-2007 10:25:46 org.apache.fop.fo.flow.TableColumn bind
      [fop] WARNING: table-layout="fixed" and column-width unspecified =>
falling back to proportional-column-width(1)
      [fop] 21-Feb-2007 10:25:46 org.apache.fop.fo.flow.TableColumn bind
      [fop] WARNING: table-layout="fixed" and column-width unspecified =>
falling back to proportional-column-width(1)
      [fop] 21-Feb-2007 10:25:47
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.PageSequenceLayoutManager$1 notifyOverflow
      [fop] WARNING: Content of the region-body on page 3 overflows the
available area in block-progression dimension. (fo:page-sequence, location:
37/482)

The full log is at http://www.pasteserver.net/198

Regards,

P.

Re: [SPAM] 0.93: Multi-page table Corrupted

Posted by paul_moloney <pa...@hotmail.com>.

cbowditch wrote:

> Unfortunately its difficult to use this FO file because paste bin has
> escaped all the quotes, so I would have to write a process to unescape
> them! Or do it by hand - ouch.

Sorry about that; here they are again, this time using a different pastebin:

http://www.pasteserver.net/187 (excerpt)

http://www.pasteserver.net/186 (whole)

Regards,

P.

RE: 0.93: Multi-page table Corrupted

Posted by paul_moloney <pa...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by paul_moloney <pa...@hotmail.com>.

Pascal Sancho wrote:

> Your fo:table is nested in a fo:block where keep-together property is
> used.
>
> Remove this property or change its value should do the trick.
> <fo:block keep-together.within-column="always" id="d0e145">
>   <fo:table>

Thanks, Pascal. I sent a new mail today mentioning that even with my
customization layer turned off and using the default docbook-xsl 1.72.0
stylesheets, this error still happens. Does this indicate that the
keep-together property is being incorrected added by the docbook-1.72.0
stylesheets? What could I add to my customization layer to remove this
property?

Thanks,

P.

AW: [SPAM] 0.93: Multi-page table Corrupted

Posted by Hinrich Aue <hi...@lci-software.com>.
I had the same issue.
You have to set the keep-together to auto.
I don't know exactly why...