Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Thorsten Westmeier <we...@justmail.de> on 2004/04/06 10:41:56 UTC

Re: Performance: Better start with WSDD or WSDL for using EJBs from JavaWebStart

At 16:51 05.04.2004, you wrote:
>You need to have both a WSDL file and a WSDD file for each Web service.
>The WSDL file describe the service from the client application's
>perspective (what does it need to know in order to invoke the service).
>The WSDD file describes the service from the service container's
>perspective (what does it need to know in order to process requests sent
>to the service).
>
>Axis permits you to develop the service from either perspective. But the
>end result must contain both descriptions.

Thanks for your answer, but it is not exactly what I mean.
I think, ihat I have misformulated my question and will ask with other words:

There are two different ways to create the webServices:

1) One is to create the WSDL-File manually and then autogenerate the
Java-Files with "wsdl2java".

2) The way, which I use in the moment: (with jboss-net, the axis-Version,
which is integrated in JBoss.)

I create the WSDD-Description manually, put it in a *.wsr
WebService-Archive and JBoss generates automatically the
WSDL-File. I can watch this file with:
http://<servername>/jboss-net/services/<servicename>?wsdl

Then I create a Service call in the client class:

String endpoint = "http://<servername>/jboss-net/services/<servicename>";
String methodName = "test";

Service service = new Service();

call.setTargetEndpointAddress( new java.net.URL(endpoint) );

call.setOperationName(methodName);
Object ret = call.invoke(new Object[]{});

Now again my question:
Which is the better way for developing Web Services to use with existing
JavaWebStartClient and EJBs.
Has the result of both ways the same performance?

Thorsten

Re: Performance: Better start with WSDD or WSDL for using EJBs from JavaWebStart

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
They should be the same.

At 02:12 AM 4/6/2004, you wrote:
>At 16:51 05.04.2004, you wrote:
>>You need to have both a WSDL file and a WSDD file for each Web service.
>>The WSDL file describe the service from the client application's
>>perspective (what does it need to know in order to invoke the service).
>>The WSDD file describes the service from the service container's
>>perspective (what does it need to know in order to process requests sent
>>to the service).
>>
>>Axis permits you to develop the service from either perspective. But the
>>end result must contain both descriptions.
>

>Thanks for your answer, but it is not exactly what I mean.
>I think, ihat I have misformulated my question and will ask with other words:
>

>There are two different ways to create the webServices:
>
>1) One is to create the WSDL-File manually and then autogenerate the
>Java-Files with "wsdl2java".
>

>2) The way, which I use in the moment: (with jboss-net, the axis-Version,
>which is integrated in JBoss.)
>
>I create the WSDD-Description manually, put it in a *.wsr
>WebService-Archive and JBoss generates automatically the
>WSDL-File. I can watch this file with:
>http://<servername>/jboss-net/services/<servicename>?wsdl
>
>Then I create a Service call in the client class:
>
>String endpoint = "http://<servername>/jboss-net/services/<servicename>";
>String methodName = "test";
>
>Service service = new Service();
>Call call = (Call) service.createCall();
>
>call.setTargetEndpointAddress( new java.net.URL(endpoint) );
>
>call.setOperationName(methodName);
>Object ret = call.invoke(new Object[]{});
>

>Now again my question:
>Which is the better way for developing Web Services to use with existing
>JavaWebStartClient and EJBs.
>Has the result of both ways the same performance?
>

>Thorsten

Anne Thomas Manes
VP & Research Director
Burton Group