Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by "Andrew Stuart (SuperCoders)" <an...@supercoders.com.au> on 2011/05/07 07:48:13 UTC

Any existing code/samples/examples for couchdb self service?

Hi,

The app I am designing needs to create an individual new database for
each new user that signs up.  That user is the only user allowed
access to their database.  Very similar to the way an email service
would work - sign up, confirmation email is sent out and you then get
your own email database.

Does anyone know of any existing examples/samples/open source apps
that show a good approach for doing this?

thanks

Andrew

Re: Any existing code/samples/examples for couchdb self service?

Posted by "Andrew Stuart (SuperCoders)" <an...@supercoders.com.au>.
Hi Martin

Fabulous thanks - it would be much appreciated if such code could be
made available.

as

On 08/05/2011, at 6:10 AM, Martin Higham wrote:

We do this in one of apps. We have an CouchDB external process that
makes all the necessary  calls to create the database (by replicating
a template database), creating the user account and then setting
security roles. I'll see what I can do to make the code publicly
available.

Martin

--
Message  protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and
content filtering.http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg

Re: Any existing code/samples/examples for couchdb self service?

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 8 May 2011 11:56, Andrew Stuart (SuperCoders)
<an...@supercoders.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Martin
>
> What language did you build this functionality in?  What do you mean by
> "couchdb external process"?

Basically you wrap some couch lovin' around a stdin/stdout json pipeline.

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/ExternalProcesses

> thanks
>
> Andrew
>
> On 08/05/2011, at 6:10 AM, Martin Higham wrote:
>
> We do this in one of apps. We have an CouchDB external process that makes
> all the necessary  calls to create the database (by replicating a template
> database), creating the user account and then setting security roles. I'll
> see what I can do to make the code publicly available.
>
> Martin

@martin: looking forwards to it!

A+
Dave

Re: Any existing code/samples/examples for couchdb self service?

Posted by Ajai Khattri <co...@bitblit.net>.
On Sun, 8 May 2011, Andrew Stuart (SuperCoders) wrote:

> What language did you build this functionality in?  What do you mean
> by "couchdb external process"?

Either some process started from a web service or the server-side script
itself probably? You could probably write this in Ruby, Python; or PHP...

Martin, Im planning to allow the user to pick from several types of
collections. I would love to know how your 'templates' work. Ultimately I
would want users to also contribute templates too.

Re: Any existing code/samples/examples for couchdb self service?

Posted by "Andrew Stuart (SuperCoders)" <an...@supercoders.com.au>.
Hi Martin

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 1:13 AM, Andrew Stuart (SuperCoders)
<an...@supercoders.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Martin
>
> Following up on this - any chance the code or some portion of it might be
> accessible so we can see how you solved it?
>
> thanks
>
> as
>

> On 08/05/2011, at 6:10 AM, Martin Higham wrote:
>
> We do this in one of apps. We have an CouchDB external process that makes
> all the necessary  calls to create the database (by replicating a template
> database), creating the user account and then setting security roles. I'll
> see what I can do to make the code publicly available.
>
> Martin
>
> On 7 May 2011, at 14:31, Ajai Khattri <sy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Im working on a similar app. I imagine you could write a web service that
>> your app connects to, that creates the database on your db server.
>> On May 7, 2011 1:48 AM, "Andrew Stuart (SuperCoders)" <
>> andrew.stuart@supercoders.com.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The app I am designing needs to create an individual new database for
>>> each new user that signs up. That user is the only user allowed
>>> access to their database. Very similar to the way an email service
>>> would work - sign up, confirmation email is sent out and you then get
>>> your own email database.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of any existing examples/samples/open source apps
>>> that show a good approach for doing this?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> Andrew
>
> --
> Message  protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content
> filtering.http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg
> Click here to report this message as spam:
> https://login.mailguard.com.au/report/1Cg9uAs76L/bDnhgzU5sy9gauLTAILlo/1

I've done this for a project too, but itneed to be ported for coming
release. I may find some time in coming days to release it.

- benoit

Re: Any existing code/samples/examples for couchdb self service?

Posted by "Andrew Stuart (SuperCoders)" <an...@supercoders.com.au>.
Nice one thanks Martin thats excellent.

Benoit I'd be interested to see your solution too.

Andrew

On 28/05/2011, at 1:54 AM, Martin Higham wrote:

Sorry for the delay. I had to make sure it worked once I'd ripped out
our
project specific code

https://github.com/ocasta/CouchDB-Selfservice

<https://github.com/ocasta/CouchDB-Selfservice>Martin

On 27 May 2011 00:13, Andrew Stuart (SuperCoders) <

Posted by Martin Higham <ma...@ocastalabs.com>.

Posted by "Andrew Stuart (SuperCoders)" <an...@supercoders.com.au>.
Hi Martin

Posted by Martin Higham <ma...@ocastalabs.com>.