Posted to builds@apache.org by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org> on 2019/08/11 22:15:35 UTC

Github Actions

Github Actions recently added support for CI/CD and has been in public
beta for a while. It's also pretty well documented [1] and supports
running tests in multiple docker containers using docker-compose.

I think there are quite a few ASF projects using gitbox and Github and
this would be a very good complement or replacement for Travis, appvoyer
and other CI/CD platforms currently in use.

Is there any interest from the ASF to enable this for all Gitbox
projects when it becomes fully public?

I am also interested in being able to push to our website automatically
using Github Actions. If the git token that can push to a particular
website repository is added as a secret [2] to Github Actions, this
would be pretty easy to use for projects to automate the building of
their websites.

What do you guys think about his?

Francis

[1]
https://help.github.com/en/categories/automating-your-workflow-with-github-actions

[2]
https://help.github.com/en/articles/virtual-environments-for-github-actions#creating-and-using-secrets-encrypted-variables

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
For the most part, I've found Github actions to work really well. I've
migrated Calcite's Avatica Go Driver [1] from Travis to Github Actions.
I haven't had time to look into the Calcite and Calcite Avatica
repositories, but I think it should be doable.

The blocker for us is using Actions to automate the publishing of our
website as mentioned previously. Has infra worked out a way/process to
enable this? For us, it would simply be a token to push to the
calcite-site repository in Gitbox (I'd imagine the same token being used
on the git-website node would suffice) being added as a Github Actions
secret for us to enable this.

The automation [2] to do this using Github Actions has been tested and
validated, but we are just missing the credentials to push to the
calcite-site repo.

Francis

[1] https://github.com/apache/calcite-avatica-go
[2] https://github.com/apache/calcite/tree/test-site/.github/workflows

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Zoran!

In our case, our site lives in a separate repository, as we have code in
3 different repositories that pushes to this site repository.

I've been playing around with Github Actions, but haven't gotten to the
point where I am ready to open a request with INFRA to see if it's
possible for the token to be added as a Github Actions secret. Currently
I see the following methods being possible candidates:

1. Use a Github token for the ASF github org. This gives write access to
all repos under the ASF org, which might be undesirable as there is no
way to scope Github tokens to individual repos.

2. Use the Gitbox token that is currently used by the git-websites node
which has write access to the asf-site branch of all repos. I think this
is probably the more secure way, but it would be nice if the token can
be scoped to individual repos.

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Francis & Builders,

<fr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Regarding automated website builds: Currently, this is only possible on
> the ASF git-websites jenkins node as it holds the correct git
> credentials to push to the website branch for ASF git repositories. Is
> there an official process/workflow for this token to be added as a
> secret in Github Actions?

From my early experiments with GitHub actions, a GitHub action has

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
We are going to try it in Airflow in parallel to our tests for GitLab CI +
Kubernetes Cluster on GKE. For now the only problem is that you cannot have
runners run on your own infrastructure (but we will have to see how it will
work with Actions and whether Airflow's requirements for our test
environments are not too tough for Actions) .

J.

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
Hi Greg,

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
Many thanks for the example, Zoran.

I think I see the problem now. For camel-website you're running Github
actions in camel-website, so I think it implicitly allows you to push to
the same repo.

In my case, I have actions in calcite, calcite-avatica and
calcite-avatica-go pushing to calcite-site. I was thinking I could
reverse the relationship and store the actions in calcite-site (thus
avoiding the need to authenticate), but I don't think GH actions allow
triggering on events that originate from other repositories.

Francis

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Francis,

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
Hi Zoran,

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Francis,

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Continuing the top-post trend...

I'd rather see full audit logs kept ~forever for any use of credentials,
including the code that was executed.

If we can't stop the leak, we can at least keep the paper trail.

Right now, with our aggressive build cleanup steps, I don't think this
is happening. Archiving that data somewhere else for legal purposes
might be a good idea.

-Joan "just an idea" Touzet

Re: Github Actions

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Secrets masking is another thing that only works for basic cases. Don’t try
encoding it and printing it, for example. Just a different character set
can throw off some tools let alone base 64.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
Hi Greg,

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Hi Francis,

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Karl Heinz,

Do you plan on investigating s setup similar to your gitbox/Jenkins
one, where you manage all your builds using a common Jenkinsfile? I was
curious whether Github actions support such a pattern.

Thanks,

Robert

Re: Github Actions

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.