Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Kaspar Fischer <fi...@inf.ethz.ch> on 2009/02/22 23:26:38 UTC

[OT] Framework for managing task

My Wicket app needs to run tasks in the background and I am looking
for a Java framework to "persist" tasks in the sense that I can submit
a task and the framework would ensure that once submitted
(transactions?), the task will be run, even if the server is shut down
in between and the task needs to be restarted. Also, tasks that
support cancellation (à la java.util.concurrent.ExecutorService)
should be cancelled when the system stops. Do you know of anything
similar?

Whatever tool I'll end up with I will document the integration with
Wicket on the wiki.

Thanks a lot,
Kaspar

Re: [OT] Framework for managing task

Posted by Kaspar Fischer <fi...@inf.ethz.ch>.
That seems to be it!

Thanks a lot, Pierre.

Kaspar

Posted by Pierre Goupil <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Perry <ja...@gmail.com>.
IMHO, you might want to look at the Spring framework as it provides a nice
API on top of the asynchronous JEE features you need.

Best,
James.

Posted by Uwe Schäfer <sc...@thomas-daily.de>.
Kaspar Fischer schrieb:

> the task will be run, even if the server is shut down in between and the
> task needs to be restarted. Also, tasks that support cancellation (à la
> java.util.concurrent.ExecutorService) should be cancelled when the
> system stops.

sounds like JMS. I´d recommend ActiveMQ. If tasks should be scheduled,
then i´d go for Quartz, too.

cu uwe

--

THOMAS DAILY GmbH
Adlerstraße 19

Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors:
Wendy Thomas, Susanne Larbig
Handelsregister Freiburg i.Br., HRB 3947

Registrieren Sie sich unter http://morningnews.thomas-daily.de für die
kostenfreien TD Morning News, eine Auswahl aktueller Themen des Tages
morgens um 9:00 in Ihrer Mailbox.

Hinweis: Der Redaktionsschluss für unsere TD Morning News ist täglich um
8:30 Uhr. Es werden vorrangig Informationen berücksichtigt, die nach
16:00 Uhr des Vortages eingegangen sind. Die Email-Adresse unserer
Redaktion lautet redaktion@thomas-daily.de.