Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com> on 2009/06/05 15:05:08 UTC

RE: Recently checked in Windows code

Ok, the situation is a bit better than I thought... This is the
license governing code samples from the msdn blog - I believe if I
insert this in the affected file, it's good.

I've cc'd legal-discuss for an opinion.

-Steve

MICROSOFT LIMITED PUBLIC LICENSE

This license governs use of code marked as "sample" available on this
Web Site without a License Agreement , as provided under the Section
above titled " NOTICE SPECIFIC TO SOFTWARE AVAILABLE ON THIS WEB SITE
". If you use such code (the "software"), you accept this license. If
you do not accept the license, do not use the software.

1. Definitions

The terms "reproduce," "reproduction," "derivative works," and
"distribution" have the same meaning here as under U.S. copyright law.

A "contribution" is the original software, or any additions or changes
to the software.

A "contributor" is any person that distributes its contribution under
this license.

 "Licensed patents" are a contributor's patent claims that read
directly on its contribution.

2. Grant of Rights

(A) Copyright Grant- Subject to the terms of this license, including
the license conditions and limitations in section 3, each contributor
grants you a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free copyright license
to reproduce its contribution, prepare derivative works of its
contribution, and distribute its contribution or any derivative works
that you create.

(B) Patent Grant- Subject to the terms of this license, including the
license conditions and limitations in section 3, each contributor
grants you a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license under its
licensed patents to make, have made, use, sell, offer for sale,
import, and/or otherwise dispose of its contribution in the software
or derivative works of the contribution in the software.

3. Conditions and Limitations

 (A) No Trademark License- This license does not grant you rights to
use any contributors' name, logo, or trademarks.

(B) If you bring a patent claim against any contributor over patents
that you claim are infringed by the software, your patent license from
such contributor to the software ends automatically.

(C) If you distribute any portion of the software, you must retain all
copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices that are present
in the software.

(D) If you distribute any portion of the software in source code form,
you may do so only under this license by including a complete copy of
this license with your distribution. If you distribute any portion of
the software in compiled or object code form, you may only do so under
a license that complies with this license.

(E) The software is licensed "as-is." You bear the risk of using it.
The contributors give no express warranties, guarantees or conditions.
You may have additional consumer rights under your local laws which
this license cannot change. To the extent permitted under your local
laws, the contributors exclude the implied warranties of
merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and
non-infringement.

(F) Platform Limitation- The licenses granted in sections 2(A) & 2(B)
extend only to the software or derivative works that you create that
run on a Microsoft Windows operating system product.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
yah - the article that code is a companion to is dated 2003 (in the
HTML META), so that must be before they switched.

geir

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.
That's good to know.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.
(removed qpid as we drift off-topic for them)

El sáb, 06-06-2009 a las 02:27 -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. escribió:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > Need to find a good way to add the stupid 'no nuclear facilities'
> > license clause too.
>

> Huh?  Oh - nuclear facilities, not nuclear clauses.

Java used to have this clause which forbid its use for air traffic
control or operation of nuclear power plants, I don't think they are
using it any more, and I was not aware of any other use of this clause.
Are there examples of these clauses "in the wild" anymore?

> We love nuclear patent clauses :)

(Being pedant) I'd use MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction) rather than
nuclear. Nowadays the scenarios of nuclear deployment or use are not
aimed to MAD, i.e., to non-use, anymore, but to regional re-equilibrium.
See North Korea, Israel/Iran, etc.

Regards
Santiago

Re: Recently checked in Windows code

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Recently checked in Windows code

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:07 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr.<wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Steve Huston wrote:
>>
>> (F) Platform Limitation- The licenses granted in sections 2(A) & 2(B)
>> extend only to the software or derivative works that you create that
>> run on a Microsoft Windows operating system product.
>
> Field of use restricted licensing is prohibited at the ASF, so this falls
> under the Category X of our licensing handling.

Agreed. I've added this to the list of Category X licenses.

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Ok, William - I'm going to have to rewrite the affected code and
remove the snippet taken from the MSDN blog.

Thanks very much for the quick review.
-Steve

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.