Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tapas Mishra <mi...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/15 14:15:50 UTC

[users@httpd] failing to determine servers fully qualified doamin name

I do not have access to a DNS.
I have a machine on which apache2 is installed on Ubuntu10.04
I have 2 domain names (both internal)
site1.domain.com
and site2.domain.com

and 2 vhost files for both of them.
configuration of site1.domain.com is
http://pastebin.com/6yzMzUbS
and configuration of site2.domain.com is
http://pastebin.com/9iE8gG1b

in /etc/hosts
I have
192.168.1.5 site1.domain.com site2.domain.com

now when I am restarting apache2 I am getting following

apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
domain name, using 192.168.1.5 for ServerName
 ... waiting apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully
qualified domain name, using 192.168.1.5 for ServerName

What do I need to check ?
--
Tapas

Re: [users@httpd] failing to determine servers fully qualified doamin name

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.

On 07/27/2010 11:58 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> We have changed our settings no more Apache.
> Lighttpd.

Tapas,

We're truly saddened to see you leave this list. Please let us know if
you require more assistance in the future.

Frank.

Re: [users@httpd] failing to determine servers fully qualified doamin name

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 27.07.10 21:28, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> We have changed our settings no more Apache.
> Lighttpd.

good news for us. bad news for the lighttpd users lists/forums.

Boost your system's speed by 500% - DEL C:\WINDOWS\*.*

Re: [users@httpd] failing to determine servers fully qualified doamin name

Posted by Tapas Mishra <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 15.07.10 17:45, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I do not have access to a DNS.
> I have a machine on which apache2 is installed on Ubuntu10.04
> I have 2 domain names (both internal)
> site1.domain.com
> and site2.domain.com
>
> and 2 vhost files for both of them.
> configuration of site1.domain.com is
> http://pastebin.com/6yzMzUbS
> and configuration of site2.domain.com is
> http://pastebin.com/9iE8gG1b
>
> in /etc/hosts
> I have
> 192.168.1.5 site1.domain.com site2.domain.com
>
> now when I am restarting apache2 I am getting following
>
> apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
> domain name, using 192.168.1.5 for ServerName
>  ... waiting apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully
> qualified domain name, using 192.168.1.5 for ServerName
>

> What do I need to check ?

Simply:

put directives:

ServerName site1.domain.com

and

ServerName site2.domain.com

to virtualhost definitions. apache does NOT take care of /etc/hosts.

- Have you got anything without Spam in it?
- Well, there's Spam egg sausage and Spam, that's not got much Spam in it.

Re: [users@httpd] failing to determine servers fully qualified doamin name

Posted by Tapas Mishra <mi...@gmail.com>.
> Eg, if your server is called 'bob', then put 'ServerName bob' in the
> apache config, and add a line '192.168.1.5 bob' to /etc/hosts.
Also what you are saying in these lines if you read first message when
I started this thread I had done these changes which you have
suggested
 before pasting the question here on the list
in /etc/hosts
and ServerName does exists
in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf so I had posted the question.

The server has different domain names meaning. if one is ending in
.edu and another fqdn on same server is ending in .com

Re: [users@httpd] failing to determine servers fully qualified doamin name

Posted by Tapas Mishra <mi...@gmail.com>.
I forgot to mention in previous message  the error message line on the
manual I was not able to understand if it is please copy paste the
specific text from that page I will try to understand again,

Re: [users@httpd] failing to determine servers fully qualified doamin name

Posted by Tapas Mishra <mi...@gmail.com>.
I had read the manual can you tell me which line specifically you are
referring to on this page
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#servername

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Tapas Mishra <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My hostname and fqdns are different.

Did you read the manual entry I linked you to? It was specificly
chosen to illustrate why apache emits that error message, and what you
can do to fix the problem:

"""
If no ServerName is specified, then the server attempts to deduce the
hostname by performing a reverse lookup on the IP address.
"""

So it tries to do a PTR (reverse) lookup for your IP, 192.168.1.5,
which obviously doesn't return correctly, and so apache emits the
error.

So to fix it, you must supply a ServerName (in the main config, not a
vhost) which apache can resolve. To make sure apache can resolve it,
simply add the hostname to /etc/hosts

Eg, if your server is called 'bob', then put 'ServerName bob' in the
apache config, and add a line '192.168.1.5 bob' to /etc/hosts.

(Wondering why I bother.)

Tom

Re: [users@httpd] failing to determine servers fully qualified doamin name

Posted by Tapas Mishra <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Tapas Mishra <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do not have access to a DNS.
> I have a machine on which apache2 is installed on Ubuntu10.04
> I have 2 domain names (both internal)
> site1.domain.com
> and site2.domain.com
>
> and 2 vhost files for both of them.
> configuration of site1.domain.com is
> http://pastebin.com/6yzMzUbS
> and configuration of site2.domain.com is
> http://pastebin.com/9iE8gG1b
>
> in /etc/hosts
> I have
> 192.168.1.5 site1.domain.com site2.domain.com
>
> now when I am restarting apache2 I am getting following
>
> apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
> domain name, using 192.168.1.5 for ServerName
>  ... waiting apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully
> qualified domain name, using 192.168.1.5 for ServerName
>

> What do I need to check ?

The manual?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#servername

Google?