Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/09 15:40:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] Rename default branch to `main`

Howdy Folks!

Words matter. I've just started a thread on merging all of the
FoundationDB work into mainline development and thought this would be
a good time to bring up a separate discussion on renaming our default
branch.

Personally, I've got a few projects where I used `main` for the
mainline development branch. I find it to be a fairly natural shift
because I tab-complete everything on the command line. I'd be open to
other suggestions but I'm also hoping this doesn't devolve into a
bikeshed on what we end up picking.

For mechanics, what I'm thinking is that when we finish up the last
rebase of the FoundationDB work that instead of actually pushing the
merge/rebase button we just rename the branch and then change the
default branch on GitHub and close the PR.

Thoughts?

Paul

Re: [DISCUSS] Rename default branch to `main`

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
This obviously will break all the current PR to master branch just because
of naming. Is it worth this?

What problems renaming will solve? And why does that suddenly become
important?
--
,,,^..^,,,

Posted by Nick Vatamaniuc <va...@gmail.com>.
+1

This conversation kind of spilled into the other thread about merging,
so I replied there as well about main vs master and rebasing. Sorry
about the confusion.

Posted by Robert Samuel Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alessio 'Blaster' Biancalana <do...@apache.org>.
I'm not against nor in favor :-D

Posted by Nick Vatamaniuc <va...@gmail.com>.
That looks great. Good call to archive and remove some of those repositories.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hey all,

Here's a list of all CouchDB related repositories with a few quick
stats and my read on their status and requirements. Can I get some
eyeballs on this to double check before I submit a ticket to infra for
doing our branch renaming updates?

https://gist.github.com/davisp/9de8fa167812f80356d4990e390c9351

There are a few repos with comments I had when I wasn't 100% sure on
the status. For ease those are:

couchdb-couch-collate - I couldn't easily tell if this was still used
for Windows builds
couchdb-fauxton-server - This is an empty repo, should we have it deleted?
couchdb-jquery-couch - Should this be archived? Has PouchDB/nano replaced it?
couchdb-nmo - Should this be archived?
couchdb-oauth - I couldn't find this used anywhere, should we archive it?

Posted by Glynn Bird <gl...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
strong +1

Posted by Alessio 'Blaster' Biancalana <do...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 8:09 PM Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'd also support renaming it to 'trunk' but really don't care what we pick.
>
> The first commercial version control system I used to use, called that
> branch "main":
>
>    https://i.ibb.co/7bMDt3c/cc-ver-tree2.gif

Wow, that's really history, thanks for bringing back memories :D

'trunk' is very SVN-ish :-)))

Alessio

Re: [DISCUSS] Rename default branch to `main`

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Alexander,

Any PRs that aren't trivially rebased against the current
prototype/fdb-layer will by definition break regardless of what we
call our default branch moving forward.

Paul

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.