Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2009/12/26 18:36:43 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Cayenne, release 3.0RC1

Just posted the new release artifacts:

http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.0RC1/

Please evaluate and cast your votes.

Thanks,
Andrus

Re: [VOTE] Apache Cayenne, release 3.0RC1

Posted by Andrey Razumovsky <ra...@gmail.com>.
Okay, this is somewhat wrong test.
Null is set to parameter "a" in "select p from Painting p WHERE
p.toArtist=:x"
This is surely (and correctly) generates something like SELECT ... FROM
PAINTING WHERE ARTIST_ID=NULL.
Postgres needs IS NULL statement. Since EJBQL supports IS NULL, I think this
is not a bug and we either remove this test completely or mark it as
non-postgres when we'll have such feature

--
Andrey

Re: [VOTE] Apache Cayenne, release 3.0RC1

Posted by Andrey Razumovsky <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Menard <ni...@gmail.com>.
My Windows VM is acting up, so I quit on that and only tested in MacOS X.

Results:

HSQLDB:
=======
No failures

Derby:
====
Tests in error:
  testDifferentEntity(org.apache.cayenne.access.DataContextEJBQLSubqueryTest)
  testExists(org.apache.cayenne.access.DataContextEJBQLSubqueryTest)

MySQL 5.1.38:
==========
No failures

PostgreSQL 8.4.0:
=============
Tests in error:
  testNullParameter(org.apache.cayenne.query.EJBQLQueryTest)

The Derby ones, IIRC, are just an issue with the test environment.  I have
no idea what's wrong with the PostgreSQL one, but given that no one has
tripped over it, I'm okay dealing with it in RC 2, should one be warranted.

So, I'm +1 on this release.

--
Kevin

Posted by Kevin Menard <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrus,

Do you have a list of DBs you tested against?  I'm going to run against
MySQL, PostgreSQL, Derby, & HSQLDB and will report back.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Jan 5, 2010, at 3:49 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> I will post the artifacts shortly.

Done. And we are ready to make announcements.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Dec 26, 2009, at 7:36 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Just posted the new release artifacts:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.0RC1/
>
> Please evaluate and cast your votes.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrus

So let me cast one final +1, and summarize the tally:

Malcom Edgar +1
Andrey Razumovsky (PMC) +0
Aristedes Maniatis (PMC) +1
Kevin Menard (PMC) +1
Andrus Adamchik (PMC) +1

So the release passes and I will post the artifacts shortly.

Thanks everybody. We are making more frequent releases now that 3.0 is
approaching its final stage, so this requires more time commitment to
evaluate the releases. Once we get over this milestone, it'll likely
slow down... Even though I like the current pace :-)

Posted by Рябицкий Евгений <er...@diasoft.ru>.
For me I have decide that we are migrating directly to 3.1

3.0 doesn't have Oracle support for SQL Template query.
Funny that it was working in 2.0.3 version. We have missed some regression since that version that is fixed only in 3.1

Evgeny.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
No offense taken. In fact it is probably a good idea for us to be clearer about exactly what we are voting for. Certainly we don't all have time to test every release in enormous detail. How much testing does each release get?

* verify all signatures ( I do that sometimes but not every time)
* run all unit tests on the source (I used to do that, but now I'd like to entrust that to Hudson)
* make sure the Modeler runs and opens some models I have (usually, but only OSX, never Windows)
* put the jar into my own project and see that it still works and passes tests (sometimes, not this time)
* test it against every database Cayenne supports (well, that never happens...)

My vote here is not to say that this release is perfect and I've tested everything. More that I've been watching all the commits and know what has gone into this release and I believe that now is a good time to cut RC1. I've had a look to see that Andrus didn't accidentally upload pictures of his cat instead of the release, and I like that the jars folder is now tidier without the extraneous files. I'm happy to vote that this is a really good time for the project to release RC1 and that the release (with 15 minutes of investigation) look fine and that the commits since the last release are all non-intrusive and unlikely to cause major issues.

Cheers

Ari

--

-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: [VOTE] Apache Cayenne, release 3.0RC1

Posted by Kevin Menard <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Embeddables

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Looks like there are a few remaining Modeler glitches for Embeddables
as well. Plus I need to write an ROP tutorial. So RC2 seems inevitable.

While frequent releases require extra time and dedication from the
PMC, still "release often, release early" is great for improving the
final product.

Andrus

Posted by Andrey Razumovsky <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
We do have a Maven problem on Hudson. Nothing related to the release.
I can take a look at it. How do I get to the admin console?

Andrus

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.