Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Benji Spencer <be...@moody.edu> on 2003/12/08 17:09:00 UTC

Font characters showing up as pound signs

Background:
We are trying to get an e with a line over it to show up in a PDF document
which is being generated from an XML files with fop. The character ends up
ad a pound sign in the PDF, though from the same XML file, the character is
displayed correctly in HTML on the website. Oddly enough, I can not get
that character to show up in my mail program (Eudora) either to show you
the character we are trying to reproduce.

I have done some reading, and it sounded as if I needed to embed the font
in the PDF. I *think* I have done this correct (no errors were produced),
but have not been able to overcome the problem.

Question: How do I get this character to show up in the PDF?

Other Information:
-) The font I generated the metrics file from came from a Windows 200 Pro
workstation (Arial)
-) Config snippet file used to generate the PDF (ben.xml)
embed-file="/usr/local/fop/fonts/arial.ttf">

-) command line used to generate the PDF: /usr/local/fop/fop -c
/tmp/ben.xml -xml /web/coursedev/XMLTMP/BI0500_l01.xml -xsl
/web/coursedev/foStyles/lessonfo.xslt -pdf /web/coursedev/PDFTMP/BI0500_l01.pdf

-) FOP version: 0.20.5

-) other info needed?

thanks

benji

---
Ben Spencer
Web Support
bspencer@moody.edu
x 2288

Re: Font characters showing up as pound signs

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail>.
Benji Spencer wrote:

> Question: How do I get this character to show up in the PDF?

You need to specify a character reference that matches the glyph in the
Arial Font. You can view the glyphs for windows fonts using the charmap
program. A quick look revealed that there are two glyphs matching your
criteria (e with line above), hex E8 and E9. These can be referenced
from the FO file using &#x00E8; and &#x00E9;

<snip/>

Chris

RE: Font characters showing up as pound signs

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

        ^
;)

Cheers,

Andreas

RE: Font characters showing up as pound signs

Posted by Benji Spencer <be...@moody.edu>.
Andrea (and all)

Thanks for your help. Regenerating the metrics solved the problem. While
some functionality is missing by using CID-keyed, at least the characters
are displayed :)

Thanks for your help on this issue (and explaining the documentation a little).

Benji

>Aha! It's not a _bad_ thing, so to speak... Both options have their
>advantages. If you use -enc ansi, then you get only a base character set
>(check the table: first line - Usable charset), but the text will remain
>searchable. The other option (not specifying -enc) gives you a full
>character-set, but renders the pdf 'unsearchable' ( c&p won't work either ).
>
>Cheers,
>
>Andreas

---

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Posted by Benji Spencer <be...@moody.edu>.
Andeas

I read about the problems with fonts so I did encode things as WinAnsi. The
statement "As shown in the above table, regardless of whether the font is
embedded or not, text generated from a CID-keyed font metrics file will
never be encoded properly" led me to believe that *is* the right thing to
do. Is WinAnsi "bad"? Yes, I did use -enc ansi option when I generated the
metrics file.

John also asked earlier about specifying the font in the stylesheet. Yes, I
believe I am doing that...

         <xsl:template match="transliteration">

                 <fo:inline font-family="Arial" color="red">
                          <xsl:apply-templates/>
                 </fo:inline>

         </xsl:template>

>Probably created the metrics with WinAnsi encoding instead of CID-keyed.
>
>(check: http://xml.apache.org/fop/fonts.html#truetype-metrics)
>
>Did you, by any chance, use the '-enc' option on the command-line when
>generating the TTF metrics?

---

Posted by "Rodolfo M. Raya" <ro...@heartsome.net>.
On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 14:16, Benji Spencer wrote:
> For the arial.xml file, I see that it says "last-char" is 255. The HTML
> character representation for what I need is &#275; That could be the problem?

Make sure that you work with "MS Arial Unicode" and not just "Arial".
Unicode version of Arial contains glyphs beyond 255.

Hope this helps,
Rodolfo
--
Rodolfo M. Raya <ro...@heartsome.net>
Heartsome Holdings Pte.Ltd.

RE: Font characters showing up as pound signs

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Posted by Benji Spencer <be...@moody.edu>.
John/Chris

I am not sure I am using the correct decimal code for the glyph. The one I
think I want is x0113 (an e with a straight line over it going horizontal).
However based on what Chris gave me, that is the right one.

How do I tell if the font contains the glyph I need? (the font came from
windows and I see the character in windows. the font.xml file came from
that windows font).

For the arial.xml file, I see that it says "last-char" is 255. The HTML
character representation for what I need is &#275; That could be the problem?

Thanks

Benji

At 10:09 AM 12/8/2003, you wrote:
>Background:
>We are trying to get an e with a line over it to show up in a PDF document
>which is being generated from an XML files with fop. The character ends up
>ad a pound sign in the PDF, though from the same XML file, the character
>is displayed correctly in HTML on the website. Oddly enough, I can not get
>that character to show up in my mail program (Eudora) either to show you
>the character we are trying to reproduce.
>
>I have done some reading, and it sounded as if I needed to embed the font
>in the PDF. I *think* I have done this correct (no errors were produced),
>but have not been able to overcome the problem.
>
>Question: How do I get this character to show up in the PDF?
>
>Other Information:
>-) The font I generated the metrics file from came from a Windows 200 Pro
>workstation (Arial)
>-) Config snippet file used to generate the PDF (ben.xml)
> embed-file="/usr/local/fop/fonts/arial.ttf">
>
>-) command line used to generate the PDF: /usr/local/fop/fop -c
>/tmp/ben.xml -xml /web/coursedev/XMLTMP/BI0500_l01.xml -xsl
>/web/coursedev/foStyles/lessonfo.xslt -pdf /web/coursedev/PDFTMP/BI0500_l01.pdf
>
>-) FOP version: 0.20.5
>
>-) other info needed?
>
>thanks
>
>benji
>
>---
>Ben Spencer
>Web Support
>bspencer@moody.edu
>x 2288

---

Posted by John Root <jr...@publisys.com>.
On 12/8/03 8:09 AM, "Benji Spencer" <be...@moody.edu> wrote:

> Background:
> We are trying to get an e with a line over it to show up in a PDF document
> which is being generated from an XML files with fop. The character ends up
> ad a pound sign in the PDF, though from the same XML file, the character is
> displayed correctly in HTML on the website. Oddly enough, I can not get
> that character to show up in my mail program (Eudora) either to show you
> the character we are trying to reproduce.
>
> I have done some reading, and it sounded as if I needed to embed the font
> in the PDF. I *think* I have done this correct (no errors were produced),
> but have not been able to overcome the problem.
>
> Question: How do I get this character to show up in the PDF?

Have you verified that this font contains the glyph you want, and are you
using the correct decimal code for the glyph? (This may seem obvious, but)
Are you specifying the font in the stylesheet?

Typically, a # in the output indicates there was no glyph in the font for
this character code.

cheers,
John