Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gunivortus Goos <Gu...@boudicca.de> on 2003/11/07 08:28:02 UTC

Re[2]: [users@httpd] Path problem

Hello Robert,

RA> Consider putting the authentication directives directly in httpd.conf. In
RA> that case you would do:

Thanks a lot for your kind help!

It's not easy for someone who never used Linux commandline syntaxes, and
always strongly preferred graphical configuration envirroment, to use software
like Apache. I really would like to have things, f.i.  like offered at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html, in one config executable.
Well, it isn't, but because Apache is such a strong program, I installed and
use it, slowly learning this way of configuration under Windows XP. :-)

--
Best regards,
 Gunivortus

Re: Re[2]: [users@httpd] Path problem

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Gunivortus Goos wrote:
> It's not easy for someone who never used Linux commandline syntaxes,
> and always strongly preferred graphical configuration envirroment, to use
> software like Apache.

Well, the learning curve for *nix like software is generally a bit steeper
than Windows like software, but in exchange you get more power and
flexibility in the long run. Personally, I loath (server) software that is
configured with a GUI, because that makes it impossible for me to automate
the configuration by scripting, or backing up or quickly change between
different configurations. Long Live Configuration Files!

> I really would like to have things, f.i.  like offered at
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html, in one config executable.
> Well, it isn't, but because Apache is such a strong program, I installed
and
> use it, slowly learning this way of configuration under Windows XP. :-)

I think there are GUIs for Apache configuration/administration. But, I have
not had any reason to look at them, so I cannot point you at a good one. Try
to google for Apache + GUI + configuration, and you will stumble upon
something.

Regards,
Robert Andersson