Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Leland Chen <le...@hotmail.com> on 2002/06/04 01:18:47 UTC

prohibit stopping tomcat by generic user

Hi,

    I have tomcat web server configured run as "nobody",
    but it can be stoped by any generic user using "shutdown.sh"
    script. Even the CATALINA_BASE is not set correctly, tomcat
    web server can be shutdown by any user account.

    Is there any way to prohibit this ?

    Thanks,

    Leland

Re: prohibit stopping tomcat by generic user

Posted by Dennis Muhlestein <de...@zserve.com>.
Even if the permissions are set correctly you could just

telnet localhost 8005 and type SHUTDOWN.

If your worried about users that much, I'd rethink their account on that
box.  And do make sure port 8005 is not available where someone can send
the shutdown command!

-Dennis

Posted by Phillip Morelock <su...@phillipmorelock.com>.
On Linux, I assume?  You didn't say.   And you are probably running with an
apache connector?

type
ls -l /path/to/tomcat

tell us what's there.

If you already know all about permissions, etc., then I would look at
man su

specifically the -c flag.

fillup