Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Laurent Laborde <ke...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/22 11:19:43 UTC

bash-mq, an improved squawk tool (mostly for sysadmin stuff actually)

Friendly greetings !
i rewrote http://www.nobugs.org/blog/archives/2008/05/11/squawk-simple-queues-using-awk/
The repository can be found here : https://github.com/ebuzzing/bash-mq

Feature :
- login/password handling
- program option using getopts
- use socat instead of nc
- easier to maintain (hopefully!)
- can specify message handler from command like
- provided sample handler
- can specify handler option to the consumer

TODO (eventually) :
- use "expect" instead of echo for error handling
- the awk script could be improved

License is WTFPL so ...
0. You just DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO.

I probably should add a friendly credit to Andrew Birkett
If you're here and want me to add some better credit than what i
wrote, just ask :)

*hugs*

--
Laurent "ker2x" Laborde
Sysadmin & DBA at http://www.over-blog.com/

Re: bash-mq, an improved squawk tool (mostly for sysadmin stuff actually)

Posted by Laurent Laborde <ke...@gmail.com>.
I just noticed that by default the persistence is set to false when
using stomp while this is the opposite of the default for JMS
submitted messages
So i added a persistence option to bash-mq (option -x).

pushed to https://github.com/ebuzzing/bash-mq

Posted by Laurent Laborde <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Laurent Laborde <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Friendly greetings !
> i rewrote http://www.nobugs.org/blog/archives/2008/05/11/squawk-simple-queues-using-awk/
> The repository can be found here : https://github.com/ebuzzing/bash-mq

BTW... I want it to be "production-ready".
If you see some bug or improvement, feel free to tell me or to send a
pull request on github.
Thank you

Posted by Torsten Mielke <to...@fusesource.com>.
I gave it some tests here today.
This is a really useful tool to have for testing and scripting as it has no dependencies on other frameworks like perl, stomp, etc.

The only requirements are the commands gawk and socat. Both can be installed easily on Unix based systems.
Make sure to check out the code directly from github https://github.com/ebuzzing/bash-mq and not from the blog post referenced in the earlier email. The latter may not work out of the box, the former does.

Thanks,
Torsten Mielke
torsten@fusesource.com
tmielke.blogspot.com