Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca> on 2011/03/26 21:13:08 UTC

[wicketstuff-core] Wicketstuff Developers please use a separate commit when fixing breakage due to wicket upstream changes

Hello,

Because of how the wicketstuff-core release process works there is the
possibility that the current wicket upstream contains changes that are
different from the latest stable wicket release.

When I create a release branch I do so at the top of the present
development branch (core-1.4.x or master) and then just change the
<wicket.version> property in the top pom.xml file.  At this point when I
build if there  is this divergence in features between the upstream
wicket releases the build will break.

My approach is to find the commit that last changed the file and then
use git revert $commit to undo it.   This works perfectly when the only
files that changed in a particular commit were those related to the
upstream change.

The purpose of this email is to ask wicketstuff developers to continue
this practice of a separate commit to contain upstream related changes
to make it simple for me at release time to revert changes.

If you look at the commits for the wicketstuff-core-1.5-rc2.1 tag you
can see several reverts were required to get things to compile with
wicket 1.5-rc2.  This worked great because the commits only dealt with
upstream changes.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: [wicketstuff-core] Wicketstuff Developers please use a separate commit when fixing breakage due to wicket upstream changes

Posted by Bruno Borges <br...@gmail.com>.
Wow... got it. Thanks for clarifying all of this.

Now, I think it is hard to guarantee no one will push API changes + features
on a unique commit.

Shouldn't we consider to stop building for point releases and only release
after a stable Wicket version? (ie. not RC's)

Bruno Borges
www.brunoborges.com.br
+55 21 76727099

"The glory of great men should always be
measured by the means they have used to
acquire it."
 - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Posted by Bruno Borges <br...@gmail.com>.