Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Arje Cahn <a....@hippo.nl> on 2006/07/03 19:13:24 UTC

[GT2006] Call for IDEAS! The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: October 2nd to 4th in Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Hi folks,

We need your ideas! What would YOU like to see at this year's Cocoon GetTogether???

This year's Cocoon conference will be held again in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, from Monday, October 2nd, until Wednesday, October 4th. Faster and funkier than ever!

The GetTogether event runs as a series of presentations on different aspects of Apache Cocoon. Several short tracks will give you insight on all aspects of Cocoon, from generator to serializer and from CForms to AJAX, packed with with real success stories and best practices. There's plenty of time for interaction and probing questions. Whether you're a Cocoon developer or user, either expert, beginner, or only curious, this event is for you. Want to know more about the technology and the people behind it? Come join us at this year's Cocoon GetTogether in Amsterdam!

But first, we'd like to hear everyone's ideas on WHAT you would really, *really* like to see:

* Which parts of Cocoon would you like to see demonstrated?
* Which bits of code would you like to see projected on a huge screen in big,
  *big* letters, with the author right next to it, explaining you exactly how and *why*
  he wrote it like that?
* Which parts of Cocoon do you find utterly complicated and would you like to get some help with?
* What would you like your boss to get demonstrated? (convince him to use Cocoon :-) )
* ...maybe you've got some Cocoon wizardry yourself to share at the Lightning Lottery Talks?

Everyone is free to send in a list of subjects for which he or she would travel all the way to Amsterdam.
There's no program yet. This year's program is up to YOU - so send in those ideas!

Here's a couple of them to get you started:

- Success stories (why someone chose Cocoon, for what, what was great and what not?)
- Comparison of Cocoon with other web frameworks
- Why should I upgrade to 2.2?
- Some howto's / best practices for
    - Configuration
    - Using Spring
    - Building Cocoon
- 10 Reasons to use Cocoon
- A "What's new in 2.2 and how to use it track" with different topics, 5 to 10min per topic.
- What's up for Cocoon 3.0?
- The Funky Cocoon AJAX tour (with lots of samples!)
- A short (!!) introduction to OSGi (what's all that fuzz about?!)
- Practical case studies, where people show how they are using Cocoon, the high-level
  architecture of their apps, what they're integrating Cocoon with, what makes their app
  unique, etc. We could to 20+10 (20 minutes prez, 10 minutes questions) slots for this,
  and have at least 4 or 6 of them during the day.

We're all using Cocoon in wildly different ways, which is one of its major strengths - let's show this at this year's GetTogether!
Please add your thoughts!

----

Kind regards,

Arjé Cahn

Hippo

Oosteinde 11
1017WT Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Tel  +31 (0)20 5224466
a.cahn@hippo.nl / www.hippo.nl / arje@apache.org

Re: [GT2006] Call for IDEAS! The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: October 2nd to 4th in Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi,

Niels van Kampenhout wrote:

> the GT should be targeted at *all* Cocoon
> users rather than just the usual group of people that know Cocoon inside
> out.

I think you mean *un*usual group of people that know Cocoon inside out ;-)

Thanks,

Andrew.
Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/

Re: [GT2006] Call for IDEAS! The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: October 2nd to 4th in Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Posted by Niels van Kampenhout <n....@hippo.nl>.
Arje Cahn wrote:
> We need your ideas! What would YOU like to see at this year's Cocoon
> GetTogether???

Looking at the user list, a lot of people still work with "old"
technologies like XSP and sitemap actions. If you really want to reach
all Cocoon users with the GT, a session like "moving from xsp and
sitemap actions to flowscript and jxtemplate" or something would be a
good thing to have.

For me personally, and for most core Cocoon community members, a session
like this has no value, but the GT should be targeted at *all* Cocoon
users rather than just the usual group of people that know Cocoon inside
out.

Niels

Re: [GT2006] Call for IDEAS! The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: October 2nd to 4th in Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Posted by Thomas Soddemann <Th...@rzg.mpg.de>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Arje Cahn wrote:
>
>> Here's a couple of them to get you started:
>>
>> - Success stories (why someone chose Cocoon, for what, what was great
>> and what not?)
>> - Comparison of Cocoon with other web frameworks
>> - Why should I upgrade to 2.2?
>> - Some howto's / best practices for
>>     - Configuration
>>     - Using Spring
>>     - Building Cocoon
>> - 10 Reasons to use Cocoon
>> - A "What's new in 2.2 and how to use it track" with different
>> topics, 5 to 10min per topic.
>> - What's up for Cocoon 3.0?
>> - The Funky Cocoon AJAX tour (with lots of samples!)
>> - A short (!!) introduction to OSGi (what's all that fuzz about?!)
>> - Practical case studies, where people show how they are using
>> Cocoon, the high-level   architecture of their apps, what they're
>> integrating Cocoon with, what makes their app   unique, etc. We could
>> to 20+10 (20 minutes prez, 10 minutes questions) slots for this,
>> and have at least 4 or 6 of them during the day.
>

> What do people think about sessions that focus on technologies that
> are often used together with Cocoon? I was thinking of
>
>  - Maven 2
>  - Spring 2
>  - FOP 0.92
>
> Maybe we can invite some of the "gurus". WDOT?

What about cocoon and Web Services/SOA?

Cheers,
Thomas

 Dr. Thomas Soddemann     |  Boltzmannstrasse 2
 Projects Engineer        |  85748 Garching
 Rechenzentrum der MPG    |  Germany
 am MPI fuer Plasmaphysik |

Re: [GT2006] Call for IDEAS! The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: October 2nd to 4th in Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 7/10/06, Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> ....What do people think about sessions that focus on technologies that are often
> used together with Cocoon? I was thinking of
>
>   - Maven 2
>   - Spring 2
>   - FOP 0.92...

Good idea! There are already plans to have FOP people there, see [1].

IMHO we should also invite people from these projects to our Hackathon
if they're willing and able to join.

-Bertrand

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=115187414330911&w=2

Re: [GT2006] Call for IDEAS! The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: October 2nd to 4th in Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [GT2006] Call for IDEAS! The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: October 2nd to 4th in Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross McDonald <ro...@vnu.co.uk>.
Hi,

I like the suggestions so far, they sound great

just a few spur of the moment thoughts on what I would like to see...

- optimisation techniques, (efficient, performant Cocoon) across the
whole lifecycle of an application
- the secret gems of Cocoon (what do people not know about that is
really cool)
- interactive apps, authentication, user tuned content
- how to get involved (find out what the community needs from
contributers)

will have more of a think later,

regards,

Ross McDonald

Re: RE: [GT2006] Call for IDEAS! The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: October 2nd to 4th in Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 7/27/06, Mark H <ma...@markhorgan.com> wrote:

> People ask now and again which is the best Cocoon
> CMS - Lenya or Daisy...

...you might want to include HippoCMS in this list as well (even more
as this thread has been started by Arje ;-)

-Bertrand

RE: [GT2006] Call for IDEAS! The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: October 2nd to 4th in Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Posted by Mark H <ma...@markhorgan.com>.
Probably a bit late with a suggestion but I'll put it forward anyway. People
ask now and again which is the best Cocoon CMS - Lenya or Daisy. I know
there has been presentations in the past at separate GTs from the creators
but it might be useful to see them demonstrated side-by-side and showing how
they are applied to real projects. The presentations might not necessarily
come from the creators, it might be user(s) who has a bit of experience with
them.

Mark H

RES: [GT2006] Call for IDEAS! The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: October 2nd to 4th in Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Posted by "Gustavo N. Fernandes" <gu...@terra.com.br>.
Hi, here are some things that would make me travel to Amsterdam  ;)

1) Cocoon application framework:

Cocoon is made of several powerful components: flow, binding, xsp,
jxtemplate, cforms, authentication, portal,etc. One might feel "lost" among
all these technologies. Commercial web applications almost always have
requisites as login, authorization, menu, form processing, templating,
integration with backends (database). How does Cocoon provide these
requisites? Going further, how to create a "typical" project that implements
those requisites with cocoon, regarding sitemap hierarchy and organization,
class model, deployment, artifacts, where do flows scripts must go, etc?
Case studies showing large web applications would be interesting.

2) Cocoon for 'non-java' professionals and Cocoon project management

How productive a junior developer or a non-java developer can be with
cocoon? At first glance, cocoon offers cforms, binding and flow, that
requires little training in order to start producing. What are the required
knowledge in order to hire a professional that should work in a cocoon
project, taking in account the 'area' that this professional will work in
the project (layout, business object, forms)? Since the first version,
Cocoon offered separation of concerns. Does that works in real world?
How does cocoon reduces the risk on building large projects with large
teams?

3) The performance myth

Since the beginning several people that consider using cocoon in a project
feel a bit disconfortable with the fact that whatever cocoon does, it needs
to parse and transform lots of XML. I personally think that cocoon does well
in production systems, but it might be interesting to hear:

- A little background on cocoon performance. In what ways does cocoon
evolved thru time that cause a performance gain
- How to tweak Cocoon in order to extract from it more performance when
needed. That could range from best practices to Avalon configuration.
- Real numbers on cocoon performance, real hardware and real deployment
topology (load balancing, session replication)
- A caching tour. How can I use caching effectively and what can I cache
- Measuring performance. How can I know at what speed my cocoon site is
running?

4) Tooling

Cocoon developers deals with a myriad of technologies: Java itself,
javascript, xml, cforms, jxtemplate. What are the tools that can help short
development time?
Is there some code generation tools around? Is MDA tools are available, in
order to generate round trip engineering on some cocoon artifacts?
Going further, what are the tools that can help testing and monitoring
cocoon application ?

5) The future

What does the future reserves to Cocoon? I heard that Cocoon will be Spring
based in the future, also read that Lepido is dead. A Cocoon roadmap
explained would be interesting. What are the major changes that Cocoon will
suffer? In what direction things like flow and cforms are going? What are
the blocks that will be deprecated soon? What are the new ones?

4) AJAX, AJAX and AJAX!

Best regards,
Gustavo Fernandes