Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Maurice Lawler <ma...@me.com> on 2013/10/03 01:00:01 UTC

System VM

Hello,

Going through the install, I noticed the system VM template hasnt
changed URL. Is it safe to assume to utilize this one:

# /usr/lib64/cloud/common/scripts/storage/secondary/cloud-install-sys-tmplt -m /mnt/secondary -u http://download.cloud.com/templates/acton/acton-systemvm-02062012.qcow2.bz2 -h kvm -s <optional-management-server-secret-key> -F

Or should I be utilizing another?

- Maurice

Re: System VM

Posted by Travis Graham <tg...@tgraham.us>.
From the perspective of a new community member being able to contribute to a separate repo that doesn't touch the app code is nice because that would open up the possibility of being a committer for the doc repo and separate that silo of work. Also less volatile in the fact that people, like me, who don't want to or can't mess with the actual Java side of the house and potentially having to deal with funky rebase issues and keeping up to date in the fast moving target state that the main code stays in.

There's talk of splitting the Release Manager out into separate roles with one head RM and sub RM's within their area of responsibility. I think this would help on that front as well. Having a lead Docs person (I think that's David?) who can oversee the whole process but can delegate things out to community members who are willing to take on the work.

That's my initial thoughts, I'm sure I could think of more advantages later once I work through more of the docs process. It's been interesting so far.

Travis

Re: System VM

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 5, 2013, at 5:53 AM, Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Before setting up the cloudstack repo, we argued that doc should be in a different repo. At that time, nobody listened to our argument of doc having a different life cycle.

Then we should have listened

> I am wondering why this back and forth decisions changes now for docs.

Things change Radhika: community gets bigger, code gets more complex, you have more releases under your belt, you learn from experience. You have cloudmonkey and you realize it needs to be separate, then you think about docs and you realize they might be better off in their own repo, you poll the community, reach consensus and you make the move.

Nothing else to read into it than trying to find mechanisms to have great docs and help people contribute to it.

-sebastien

RE: System VM

Posted by Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com>.
Hi All,

Re: System VM

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

RE: System VM

Posted by Jessica Tomechak <Je...@citrix.com>.
Hi guys,

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: System VM

Posted by Travis Graham <tg...@tgraham.us>.
Hey Marcus,

Re: System VM

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: System VM

Posted by Maurice Lawler <ma...@me.com>.
Thank you!

- Maurice

Re: System VM

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
I enabled cloudfront on this so that folks in
S.America/Africa/Europe/Asia/Oceania can have better speeds.

Just substitute d21ifhcun6b1t2.cloudfront.net for download.cloud.com

Re: System VM

Posted by Travis Graham <tg...@tgraham.us>.