Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Evgeniy Sinev <es...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/12 09:39:06 UTC

[dhcp] Summer of code

Evgeniy Sinev wrote:

>Good day,  Alex.
>
>Can I join to Google's Summer of Code with DHCP server for Apache
>Directory Project?

It's all you brother.  Was looking for someone to take it on.  Can we
post this to the main dev list?

Alex

Can you repost to dev@d.a.o list with your original comments to
me

Re: [dhcp] Summer of code

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Evgeniy Sinev wrote:

>>>Sounds interesting.  We don't have any DHCP support yet.  Most protocol
>>>stack is built upon MINA (a network application framework).  MINA currently
>>>supports only NIO transport (which doesn't support multicast).  You'll have
>>>to implement BIO (old socket I/O) support for MINA and then build DHCP
>>>protocol on top of MINA.  Then integrating protocol with ApacheDS will be
>>>great.
>>>

>I want to realize not only DHCP protocol, but fully worked DHCP-server
>for ApacheDS or for standalone use.

That's great Evgeniy.  Why don't you start looking at the code that
already exists if you have not already.  It's a good start.  Feel free
to start contibuting patches for the code that is already there.  Or
express your approach/plans for discussion on this list.

DHCP is very important.  Also note that you can embed the ApacheDS core
with backing store without exposing any oither protocols even LDAP if
you like.  So this scenario == standalone configuration of only a DHCP
server.  You get a free backend and a frontend (almost) in MINA.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: [dhcp] Summer of code

Posted by Evgeniy Sinev <es...@gmail.com>.
> > Sounds interesting.  We don't have any DHCP support yet.  Most protocol
> > stack is built upon MINA (a network application framework).  MINA currently
> > supports only NIO transport (which doesn't support multicast).  You'll have
> > to implement BIO (old socket I/O) support for MINA and then build DHCP
> > protocol on top of MINA.  Then integrating protocol with ApacheDS will be
> > great.

I want to realize not only DHCP protocol, but fully worked DHCP-server
for ApacheDS or for standalone use.

---
Evgeniy Sinev

Re: [dhcp] Summer of code

Posted by Evgeniy Sinev <es...@gmail.com>.
> > >Can I join to Google's Summer of Code with DHCP server for Apache
> > >Directory Project?
>
> Sounds interesting.  We don't have any DHCP support yet.  Most protocol
> stack is built upon MINA (a network application framework).  MINA currently
> supports only NIO transport (which doesn't support multicast).  You'll have
> to implement BIO (old socket I/O) support for MINA and then build DHCP
> protocol on top of MINA.  Then integrating protocol with ApacheDS will be
> great.

OK.

---
Evgeniy Sinev

Re: [dhcp] Summer of code

Posted by Evgeniy Sinev <es...@gmail.com>.
> Sounds interesting.  We don't have any DHCP support yet.  Most protocol
> stack is built upon MINA (a network application framework).  MINA currently
> supports only NIO transport (which doesn't support multicast).  You'll have
> to implement BIO (old socket I/O) support for MINA and then build DHCP
> protocol on top of MINA.  Then integrating protocol with ApacheDS will be
> great.

To send broadcast or multicast packets in NIO:
 aDatagramChannel.socket().setBroadcast(true) ; // set broadcast flag
 aDatagramChannel.send(aByteBuffer, new
InetSocketAddress("255.255.255.255", PORT) ;

On Linux system, without default router, sending broadcast packets
throw "Network is unreachable" exception. This apply to BIO too. The
broadcast messages sending only on interface that have default router.

May I put multicast or broadcast address to MINA via
Session.setAttribute(..) method?

--
Evgeniy Sinev

Re: [dhcp] Summer of code

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2005/6/12, Evgeniy Sinev <es...@gmail.com>:

> Evgeniy Sinev wrote:
>
> >Good day, Alex.
> >
> >Can I join to Google's Summer of Code with DHCP server for Apache
> >Directory Project?

 Sounds interesting. We don't have any DHCP support yet. Most protocol stack
is built upon MINA (a network application framework). MINA currently
supports only NIO transport (which doesn't support multicast). You'll have
to implement BIO (old socket I/O) support for MINA and then build DHCP
protocol on top of MINA. Then integrating protocol with ApacheDS will be
great.

Thanks,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/