Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Baz <ba...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/18 05:55:53 UTC

What is the correct way to increment/change the version number for builds?

All,

I have <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version> in my pom by default.

What is the recommended way to version continuous, daily/nightly and
ad-hoc builds?

Currently, I have continuous builds versioned with SNAPSHOT.

What is the recommended way to change it to, say package-1.0.jar when
performing an ad-hoc release build?

Should i use version "snapshot" for all nightly builds? What if I want
to archive the nightly builds? Should i leave the snapshot in the m2
repo but when i copy the file, i rename it as
package-snapshot-<date>.jar?

Thanks.

B.

Re: What is the correct way to increment/change the version number for builds?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/17/07, Baz <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version> in my pom by default.
>
> What is the recommended way to version continuous, daily/nightly and
> ad-hoc builds?
>
> Currently, I have continuous builds versioned with SNAPSHOT.

Are you using 'mvn deploy' with uniqueVersion=false in the repo
definition?  If not, the jars in the remote repo should already be
timestamped.

> What is the recommended way to change it to, say package-1.0.jar when
> performing an ad-hoc release build?

'mvn release:prepare' and 'mvn release:perform' will take you through
the release process, updating the version number, tagging the
reposiory and taking you to the next snapshot version.

--
Wendy