Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Axb <ax...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/30 14:21:52 UTC

TO_NO_BRKTS_MSFT hits on legit hotmail msgs

This is what something like an  "undisclosed recipients" looks like.

Imo, this rule scored with 3.5 should be purged. It's a waste of cycles

Re: TO_NO_BRKTS_MSFT hits on legit hotmail msgs

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 7/30/2014 10:03 AM, Axb wrote:
>> Well I show zero hits and so does your masscheck.  I'd like to get a
>> sample to work on a reverse check that identifies Good messages.
>
> even more patchwork?  I don't like overworked metas with tons of
> cycle/memory chewing dependencies.
You already solved the issue for your system with the custom score. I
was just trying to future proof for others who aren't as processor
dependent, no worries.

Re: TO_NO_BRKTS_MSFT hits on legit hotmail msgs

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 07/30/2014 05:05 PM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> On 7/30/2014 10:58 AM, Axb wrote:

>>> But the real-world S/O shows it is a spammy indicator.  When we can, we
>>> need to pastebin a sample to discuss this effectively.
>>
>> with a LIMIT of 3.5 ????
>>

>> header    RCVD_HOTMAIL    Received =~ /\.hotmail\.com/
>>
>> also a sign of spamminess in our corpus
>> may I submit and limit  3.5?
>> You'd nuke instantly and call me all sorta names...
>> scr :)
>
> Perhaps but my general rule is I look for a rule to have a hit of 1 to 1.5.
>
> A meta rule combines other rules and can therefore be combined to have a
> higher ceiling score.
>
> Additionally, I am not anti-poison pills because I don't block email
> using RBLs or Spam Scores so I have promoted some very high scoring
> rules.  KAM.cf is evidence of that.
>
> In the end, you are asking us to change the score of a rule without a
> spample and with no evidence in ruleqa that it's warranted.
>
> To synopsize: This appears to be an effective rule at blocking spam with
> at least one theoretical FP and tweaking it is my recommended course of
> action.

I love poison pill rules.. but this rule doesn't qualify. It's suicidal :)

Obviously our ham corpus is not good enough and I can hardly ask my
client to supply 2 msgs which will make zero difference if the score is
forced limit of 3.5

Re: TO_NO_BRKTS_MSFT hits on legit hotmail msgs

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 30 Jul 2014, Axb wrote:

> The concept of this rule just tells me that it's wrong..
>
> meta       __TO_NO_BRKTS_MSFT       __TO_NO_ARROWS_R && !__TO_UNDISCLOSED &&
> (__ANY_OUTLOOK_MUA || __MIMEOLE_MS)

As I said, it's based on the assumption that MSFT codes to standards, i.e.
their tools *will* put a space between the name part and the address part,
where spammers are sloppy.

If that assumption no longer holds true (or, no longer holds true in the
majority of cases) then the rule should either have its limit reduced (as
I've done) or is no longer useful. Masscheck results seem to indicate it
*does* still have value.

> welcome to 2014

> where is the exception for that? .-)
>
> and if you add it so what? even more bloat...

I'm not too worried about adding metas, they are dirt cheap compared to
regular expressions.

   Look at the people at the top of both efforts. Linus Torvalds is a
   university graduate with a CS degree. Bill Gates is a university
   dropout who bragged about dumpster-diving and using other peoples'
   garbage code as the basis for his code. Maybe that has something to
   do with the difference in quality/security between Linux and
   Windows.                           -- anytwofiveelevenis on Y! SCOX
  6 days until the 279th anniversary of John Peter Zenger's acquittal

Re: TO_NO_BRKTS_MSFT hits on legit hotmail msgs

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.

Re: TO_NO_BRKTS_MSFT hits on legit hotmail msgs

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 07/30/2014 05:17 PM, John Hardin wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014, Axb wrote:

>> This is what something like an  "undisclosed recipients" looks like.
>
> Do you have a sample of the headers, especially the To:? This rule is
> supposed to exclude "undisclosed recipients" messages.
>
>> Imo, this rule scored with 3.5 should be purged. It's a waste of cycles
>
> The rule is based on the assumption that MSFT can code to standards,
> which I will admit is a shaky basis for analysis.

shaky is putting it mildly...

> I will reduce the limit.

I've added wipe_tonobrktsmsft.cf to my sandbox to see how much of the
hits are not hotmail

Re: TO_NO_BRKTS_MSFT hits on legit hotmail msgs

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.