Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/31 13:16:42 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Reverse proxy from HTTP to HTTPS or HTTPS to HTTPS how?

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:35 PM, anebi@iguanait.com <an...@iguanait.com> wrote:

> I know how to create a reverse proxy for HTTP -> HTTP, but i don't know
> how to do it for HTTP to HTTPS. I know there is a SSLProxyengine that i
> should activate, but probably i need to do more than these to get
> working this.

You need to enable Apache as an SSL client. This is what I wrote about
on this list last year:

Apache can't proxy to https urls out of the box. You need to do some work.

you need to add the following to your config.

# turn on SSL proxying.
SSLProxyEngine On

# to tell Apache where to find CA certificates to check remote server
certificates with:
# (You can choose yourself where you put these certificates)
SSLProxyCACertificatePath /path/to/ca/certificates.

Then in this path you need to put the CA certificate(s) used to sign
the certificate(s) used by the server(s) you communicate with. If you
want to talk to a server that uses a "self signed" certificate you
will need to put it in this dir too.

Once you've done that you need to run c_rehash in that directory.
c_rehash is part of a standard openssl distribution. c_rehash creates
hashed aliases in this dir. Apache needs these.

In order to test if everything is there you can do the following:

openssl s_client -CApath /path/to/ca/certificates -connect remoteserver:8443

if the conenction succeeds just try to do a
GET /abc/

and see if you get something. If this test is succesfull apache should work too.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org

Re: [users@httpd] Reverse proxy from HTTP to HTTPS or HTTPS to HTTPS how?

Posted by "anebi@iguanait.com" <an...@iguanait.com>.
Thanks for your reply.

I expected that i need to tell apache to use some certificates that to
use for this job. Yes we have self-signed certificates in main server
and in the internal server. So i need to take the certs from the
internal server and to put them somewhere on the main server. Then to
configure apache to use these certs for this job.

Have  i understood this correctly ?