Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Kengo Seki <se...@apache.org> on 2022/05/21 13:17:08 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Bigtop 3.1.0 released

The release is available here:
    https://bigtop.apache.org/download.html#releases

A few highlights of this release include:
    * Debian 11, Fedora 35, and Rocky Linux 8 are newly supported
    * Several components are upgraded, e.g., HBase (2.2.6 => 2.4.11),
      Kafka (2.4.1 => 2.8.1), Spark (3.0.1 => 3.1.2),
      Zeppelin (0.9.0 => 0.10.0), ZooKeeper (3.4.14 => 3.5.9), etc.

With Bigtop 3.1.0 the community continues to deliver the most advanced
big data stack to date. More details about 3.1.0 release are here:
    https://bigtop.apache.org/release-notes.html

Deploying Bigtop is easy: grab the repo/list file for your favorite
Linux distribution:
    https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/bigtop/bigtop-3.1.0/repos/
and you'll be running your very own bigdata cluster in no time!

We welcome your help and feedback. For more information on how to
report problems, and to get involved, visit the project website at:
    https://bigtop.apache.org

Kengo Seki <se...@apache.org>

3.1.0 Release notes mistake

Posted by Kengo Seki <se...@apache.org>.
I'm afraid I found a documentation mistake in the 3.1.0 release when I
was going to update the release status on JIRA (see attachment) as the
last step of the release process [1].
BIGTOP-3586 is included in the release notes [2], but it's not
resolved yet in 3.1.0 actually.

This is because the issue was tagged with "fixVersion = 3.1.0" and
mixed in the release notes mechanically.
IIRC, when I scrubbed JIRA issues as the first step of the release process [3],
it doesn't have a fixVersion tag (I even removed a "fixVersion =
3.0.0" tag from it before [4]),
but it couldn't be traced from the JIRA history when the tag was added.

I'll update the "Known issues and additional notes" section in cwiki
[5] to notify it to users
and add a heads-up to the "Generate the Release Notes" section in the
release process [6]
by indicating possibility that JIRA can be updated between checking
JIRA and generating release notes.
Sorry for causing you confusion.

[1]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+release#Howtorelease-13.AddtheNextReleasetoJIRA
[2]: https://github.com/apache/bigtop/blob/release-3.1.0/CHANGES.txt#L91