Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Kaleb Walton <kd...@us.ibm.com> on 2007/11/02 19:29:29 UTC

Custom Exceptions using Simple Server

I've been digging around trying to find a way to enable custom exceptions
to be thrown using the Simple Server and am pretty stumped.

I'm trying to enable ServiceExceptions to be thrown from one of my service
interfaces but when I call it I get an exception such as:

Caused by: javax.xml.bind.MarshalException
 - with linked exception:
[javax.xml.bind.JAXBException: a.b.c.services.ServiceException is not known
to this context]
        at
com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.MarshallerImpl.write(MarshallerImpl.java:295)
        at
com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.MarshallerImpl.marshal(MarshallerImpl.java:221)
        at
javax.xml.bind.helpers.AbstractMarshallerImpl.marshal(AbstractMarshallerImpl.java:91)
        at
org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBEncoderDecoder.writeObject(JAXBEncoderDecoder.java:192)
        at
org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBEncoderDecoder.marshall(JAXBEncoderDecoder.java:167)
        ... 44 more

I tried adding a WebFaultOutInterceptor to my interceptor chain but this
error occurs further up in the chain:

INFO: Interceptor has thrown exception, unwinding now
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.Fault: Threw exception
        at
org.apache.cxf.service.invoker.AbstractInvoker.createFault(AbstractInvoker.java:101)
        at
org.apache.cxf.service.invoker.AbstractInvoker.invoke(AbstractInvoker.java:90)
        at
org.apache.cxf.service.invoker.AbstractInvoker.invoke(AbstractInvoker.java:63)
        at
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.ServiceInvokerInterceptor$1.run(ServiceInvokerInterceptor.java:56)
        at
org.apache.cxf.workqueue.SynchronousExecutor.execute(SynchronousExecutor.java:37)
        at
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.ServiceInvokerInterceptor.handleMessage(ServiceInvokerInterceptor.java:92)
        at
org.apache.cxf.phase.PhaseInterceptorChain.doIntercept(PhaseInterceptorChain.java:207)
        at
org.apache.cxf.transport.ChainInitiationObserver.onMessage(ChainInitiationObserver.java:73)
        at
org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletDestination.doMessage(ServletDestination.java:79)
        at
org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletController.invokeDestination(ServletController.java:235)
        at
org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletController.invoke(ServletController.java:140)
        at
org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.CXFServlet.invoke(CXFServlet.java:278)
        at
org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.CXFServlet.doPost(CXFServlet.java:256)

I found http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-340 which suggests that
this error can be resolved for the JAX-WS web services but is there a way
to do it with the simple server?

The simple server is so nice in terms of configuration that I'd hate to
have to switch over to JAX-WS - especially since we will have so many
services! In addition, the simple server can keep our stuff completely
annotation free. These services are not only going to be used for the web
and having to include the libraries that accompany those annotations would
be an annoyance to the rest of our development team.

Please let me know if this is not enough information to provide
suggestions.Thanks!

Regards,
Kaleb

Re: Custom Exceptions using Simple Server

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Yea, that's not going to work.   I tried that yesterday as well.   :-)

It MIGHT work if you override the getStackTrace() and setStackTrace()
methods and add @XmlTransient annotations on them so JAXB will ignore
them.    You would also need a default constructor.

The other option that should work for the simple frontend is to put your
data into a separate bean that the exception holds.   The exception
would need to look like:

class FooException extends Exception {
    public FooException(String s, FooBean bean) {
    }

    public FooBean getFaultInfo() {
    }
}

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: Custom Exceptions using Simple Server

Posted by Kaleb Walton <kd...@us.ibm.com>.
[...]

| From:      |
|------------>
  |Kaleb Walton/Southfield/IBM@IBMUS                                                                                                                 |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |cxf-user@incubator.apache.org                                                                                                                     |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |11/02/2007 02:32 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

Posted by Kaleb Walton <kd...@us.ibm.com>.
GREAT! It serializes my ServiceException nicely and without any extra
configuration! I've been waiting quite some time for this. Previously all
of my methods have had to throw a plain ol' Exception which is not very
useful. Now I can throw a ServiceException that includes much more
information for my consumers.

So far this looks like a great solution. I'll let you know if I come across
any snags :)

Regards,
Kaleb

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>                                                                                                                    |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |cxf-user@incubator.apache.org                                                                                                                     |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |Kaleb Walton/Southfield/IBM@IBMUS                                                                                                                 |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |11/02/2007 03:30 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
|------------>
  |Re: Custom Exceptions using Simple Server                                                                                                         |

Kaleb,

Can you download the latest 2.0.3 SNAPSHOT (built this morning) and try
that?   I did a bunch of work on custom exceptions with JAXB yesterday
that is in that build.

http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/cxf/apache-cxf/2.0.3-incubator-SNAPSHOT/

If that doesn't work, could you send me the exception class?

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: Custom Exceptions using Simple Server

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Kaleb,

--
J. Daniel Kulp