Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Gili Nachum <gi...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/11 10:08:04 UTC

Should heap size be proportionate to the size of the index I'm opening?

Hello.

I'm getting an OOME with a heap size of 512MB while trying to open an
IndexReader over a 70GB index (FSDirectory).
It didn't happen before when the index was smaller, and it doesn't happen
if Increase the heap size above 512MB.

Does this mean that the required heap size is always proportionate to the
size of the index?

Linux, Lucene 3.0.3 (yeah it's old...).

Re: Should heap size be proportionate to the size of the index I'm opening?

Posted by Gili Nachum <gi...@gmail.com>.
Great links. Thanks Ian.
Good to know that Lucene v4, has a smaller heap foot print.

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.