Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org> on 2018/04/04 14:15:36 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1796352

Sorry, missed it at the time, but this is nonsense:

> remove r1792169 taint checks from proxy and status modules
>
> Both of these checks are problematic without further
work.

> status: even a .htaccess with no SetHandler blocks the handler.

The status handler doesn't live in the filesystem.  If it's
correctly configured, the filesystem won't be visited, so
of course no .htaccess will be processed.

> proxy: RewriteRule ... ... [P] in htaccess is blocked.

As it should be: for .htaccess to run resources outside
its own directories is a long-standing design bug, and
leads to security issues.  Discussed with reference to
mod_proxy and mod_status in, for example
https://mail-search.apache.org/members/private-arch/httpd-security/201701.mbox/%3C63b4f81e-f742-563c-d4e4-99c4a50a7c3a@gmail.com%3E
https://mail-search.apache.org/members/private-arch/httpd-security/201701.mbox/%3CCALK=YjN55J31EyfmLE1bvTGy-9--9ftk2yFJZSUMrLqL+dksHQ@mail.gmail.com%3E
https://mail-search.apache.org/members/private-arch/httpd-security/201701.mbox/%3C6e96a31c-c4f8-36b8-ea94-8f77a2680e48@gmail.com%3E
https://mail-search.apache.org/members/private-arch/httpd-security/201701.mbox/%3CCALK=YjNwr3cNcERciS4icqVs_Wmj-ExVdDxLsnTRpLP5qOhguA@mail.gmail.com%3E

Leading to the patch committed in r1792169:

https://mail-search.apache.org/members/private-arch/httpd-security/201702.mbox/%3C20170208154128.69d1216a@bifrost.webthing.com%3E

(discussion was originally on security@, but it was suggested and the
reporter agreed that it could be brought to dev@).

--