Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Daniel M. Drucker" <dm...@3e.org> on 2004/07/27 20:53:36 UTC

too many spamd children?

I've been having a lot of problems with spamd children overloading my
system -- sometimes I get as many as 15 running at once, EVEN THOUGH I
specify
  OPTIONS="--daemonize --sql-config --nouser-config --max-children 5"
in my /etc/init.d/spamassassin.

Note the correlation between spamd spikes and load spikes:

http://www.3e.org/perf/apps/spamd-month.gif
http://www.3e.org/perf/system/load-month.gif

Can anyone tell me what I can do about this? Each time this happens I
have to kill and restart spamassassin manually.

--
Daniel Drucker / dmd@3e.org

Re: too many spamd children?

Posted by Bob McClure Jr <ro...@earthlink.net>.
On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 08:48:32PM +0000, Daniel M. Drucker wrote:
> > What rulesets are you using?
>
> 70_sare_adult.cf
> 70_sare_bayes_poison_nxm.cf
> 70_sare_genlsubj0.cf
> 70_sare_header0.cf
> 70_sare_html0.cf
> 70_sare_html1.cf
> 70_sare_oem.cf
> 70_sare_random.cf
> 70_sare_ratware.cf
> 70_sare_specific.cf
> 70_sare_spoof.cf
> 71_sare_redirect_pre3.0.0.cf
> 72_sare_bml_post25x.cf
> 99_sare_fraud_post25x.cf
> antidrug.cf
> backhair.cf
> bagle.cf
> chickenpox.cf
> evilnumbers.cf
> local.cf
> misc.cf
> settings.cf
> tripwire.cf
> weeds.cf
>
> (Updated with RulesDuJour)

Isn't RDJ wonderful?

> > If using blacklist.cf or bigevil.cf, don't.  Install SpamCopURI,
> > instead.  See
>
> I was using bigevil, and at your suggestion (and at my noticing for
> the first time how honkin' HUGE it is) I have removed it and have
> added and successfully tested SPAMCOP_URI_RBL.
>
> Do you think bigevil was contributing greatly to my problem because of
> its sheer size?

Based on my experience with blacklist.cf, most likely.

> Do you think I should get rid of any of my other rulesets?

No, that looks like a pretty good collection.  Those more experienced
than I may suggest some tweaks.

> --
> Daniel Drucker / dmd@3e.org

Cheers,
robertmcclure@earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Jesus built a bridge with two boards and three nails.

Re: too many spamd children?

Posted by Bob McClure Jr <ro...@earthlink.net>.
On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 03:59:06PM -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:48:32 +0000 (UTC), "Daniel M. Drucker" <dm...@3e.org>
> wrote:
>
> >> What rulesets are you using?
>
> One dumb question, please.  How do I determine exactly what rules SA is using?

Not dumb at all.  I should have been clearer and said add-on rulesets.

> Is it the .cf files in /usr/share/spamassassin,
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/*.cf,

The latter.

> or is there a config file that controls this?

Nope.  Any filename ending in ".cf" in either of those two locations
will be read by SA.  As another poster noted, the stuff in
/usr/share/spamassassin is provided by the SA distribution.  Don't
muck with it because it will be overwritten when you upgrade.  The
place for customizations is /etc/mail/spamassassin/.

> I'm very confused and would
> appreciate a pointer.

This may help: "man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf".

Re: too many spamd children?

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
Quoting Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:48:32 +0000 (UTC), "Daniel M. Drucker" <dm...@3e.org>
> wrote:
>
>>> What rulesets are you using?
>
> One dumb question, please.  How do I determine exactly what rules SA
> is using?
>
> Is it the .cf files in /usr/share/spamassassin, /etc/mail/spamassassin/*.cf,
> or is there a config file that controls this?  I'm very confused and would
> appreciate a pointer.
> --
>    Steve

/usr/share/spamassassin is only for templates.  all rulesets should be in
/etc/mail/spamassassin by default.

Jim

Re: too many spamd children?

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.

Re: too many spamd children?

Posted by "Daniel M. Drucker" <dm...@3e.org>.
> What rulesets are you using?

70_sare_adult.cf
70_sare_bayes_poison_nxm.cf
70_sare_genlsubj0.cf
70_sare_header0.cf
70_sare_html0.cf
70_sare_html1.cf
70_sare_oem.cf
70_sare_random.cf
70_sare_ratware.cf
70_sare_specific.cf
70_sare_spoof.cf
71_sare_redirect_pre3.0.0.cf
72_sare_bml_post25x.cf
99_sare_fraud_post25x.cf
antidrug.cf
backhair.cf
bagle.cf
chickenpox.cf
evilnumbers.cf
local.cf
misc.cf
settings.cf
tripwire.cf
weeds.cf

(Updated with RulesDuJour)

Re: too many spamd children?

Posted by Bob McClure Jr <ro...@earthlink.net>.
On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 06:59:23PM +0000, Daniel M. Drucker wrote:
> On 2004-07-27, Daniel M. Drucker <dm...@3e.org> wrote:
> > I've been having a lot of problems with spamd children overloading my
>
> I should point out that this is 2.63.

Yes, you should. :-)  Thanks.

What rulesets are you using?

http://ws.surbl.org/