Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org> on 2020/03/04 15:12:42 UTC

OFBiz releases are failing verification checks

Hi all,

Recently the releases became available via the official repositories on
Github:

   - https://github.com/apache/ofbiz-framework/releases
   - https://github.com/apache/ofbiz-plugins/releases

I tried to verify these with the function available in the ofbiz-tools rep,
like:

../dev/asf/ofbiz/ofbiz-tools/verify-ofbiz-release.sh
ofbiz-framework-release17.12.01.zip

With following result:

skipping sha check! (sha checksum file
ofbiz-framework-release17.12.01.zip.sha512 not found)skipping
signature check! (signature file
ofbiz-framework-release17.12.01.zip.asc not found)

This is not a good sign reputation wise. With the availability of releases
on Github, and our new contribution methodology through Git and Github more
people will become aware and download it from there. We must ensure that
these files can be verified regarding authenticity.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Pierre Smits
*Proud* *contributor** of* Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org/> since
2008 (without privileges)

Re: OFBiz releases are failing verification checks

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pierre,

see my comments inline:

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 4:12 PM Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Recently the releases became available via the official repositories on
> Github:
>
>    - https://github.com/apache/ofbiz-framework/releases
>    - https://github.com/apache/ofbiz-plugins/releases

these are Git tags that have been created to "tag the release" similarly to
what we used to do with svn; however they are not "releases": in fact these
are two files while we have just one official release file (that combines
the two).

I tried to verify these with the function available in the ofbiz-tools rep,
> like:
>
> ../dev/asf/ofbiz/ofbiz-tools/verify-ofbiz-release.sh
> ofbiz-framework-release17.12.01.zip

That script verifies the signature and checksum but in order to work you
actually have to download the checksum and signature files (that you can
find in the public official release distribution folder [*]); the errors
you are getting just tell you that the files are not available in your
folder.
However, the "release" files that you can download from GitHub are NOT the
actual release files; they are simply generated by GitHub from the tags;
for this reasons they will not match the signature and checksum.

If this is going to cause some confusion, we can check what other ASF
projects are doing in this area; one easy (possibly temporary) solution
could be that of removing the tags so that they do not appear as
downloadable releases in GitHub.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Jacopo

[*] https://downloads.apache.org/ofbiz/

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Furthermore,

With recent https://github.com/apache/ofbiz-framework/pull/43 we don't need
to deliver a convenience package containing both the base and the
extensions anymore.

This will enable (potential) adopters to evaluate/testdrive a fully
operational OFBiz implementation in a contained environment (docker
container).

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
IMO, despite all the encouragements by the ASF and the project, people do
what they like. And some even may not want to have all plugins included.

Given that the project already voted favourably on the first convenience
package of the 17.12 branch (which incorporates, and is based on, the
releases in the two repos), it seems to me that you can go ahead by
creating the .asc and .sha512 files for each of the releases in the repos
and upload those together with those repo releases into
http://downloads.apache.org/ofbiz.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Pierre Smits
*Proud* *contributor** of* Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org/> since