Posted to dev@pinot.apache.org by Pinot Slack Email Digest <ap...@gmail.com> on 2022/03/27 02:00:25 UTC

Apache Pinot Daily Email Digest (2022-03-26)

### _#general_

 **@octchristmas:** I'm looking for best practices for choosing hardware (cpu,
memory, storage). This is the only documentation I found.  Of course I know it
depends on my workload, but can someone give me a general hint or experience?
Anything is fine.
**@mayanks:** Like you said, it depends a lot on workload. Instead of giving a
very generic answer that might mislead you, I’d say setup a single broker +
server cluster and see how much you can squeeze out of it, and then simply
scale up/out.
**@octchristmas:** Thanks Mayank, I know your opinion is the best approach.
However, if there is a best practice for selecting hardware for each type of
workload, I will be able to choose hardware for my workload. Am I unable to
find these best practices?
**@mayanks:** Servers do most of the work, so you want to use higher
cpu/mem/storage for server nodes. If you load 1 TB of data on each node,
ensure you have SSD (ebs), perhaps at least 16 core/64GB memory. Don’t
allocate too much heap space. If 64GB ram, we do 16GB xms=xmx.
**@mayanks:** Brokers/Controllers don’t need local attached storage. Always
use deepstore (or NAS/NFS if not on cloud).
**@mayanks:** cc @mark.needham
 **@mattwdh:** @mattwdh has joined the channel

###  _#random_

 **@mattwdh:** @mattwdh has joined the channel