Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> on 2009/01/02 11:51:13 UTC

Re: more committers

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 16:40 +0100, Esteve Fernandez wrote:
> On Sunday 28 December 2008 23:37:09 Ian Holsman wrote:
> > In general in an apache project, the process for getting people commit
> > access is for an existing 'PMC' member to recognize the merits of an
> > individual and raise it on the private list, where it is discussed.  It
> > is discussed in private as some people may feel that the person is not
> > ready yet, and saying that in public could discourage the individual.
> > "nominating" the person on a public list is generally seen as poor form,
> > as it might preempt the discussion, and lead to no response from the
> > project.
>
> Sorry if my actions caused any trouble. I'm not a PMC member and shouldn't
> have nominated Bryan or Todd before asking about the process.

Not a problem. Given these discussions happen in private (one of the few
things that does/should in the ASF), there's no way for those outside to
know how they happen.

> However, I'm still arguing for more reviewers/committers in general, I think
> Thrift's development is being hindered by the lack of people who can act on
> tickets, which leads to external people become frustrated and to not
> participate more actively. For example, THRIFT-129 (the most popular ticket)
> was reported on 2008-09-02 and last updated on 2008-10-23, but nobody
> committed the attached patch.

You may be right that Thrift needs new committers. However, that is an
issue that I will leave to the Thrift committers to discuss/address.

Upayavira

Re: more committers

Posted by Jérémie BORDIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
I can't agree more... I'm quite new to thrift, submitting my first
patches but i was a bit disappointed by the lack of activity of the
committers / maintainers.. Patches are available and validated for
ages now without being applied, which makes all the people looking at
thrift doubtful about contributing and about the quality of the
current branch. Diving into the cpplib is quite straight forward but
some tricky points and important architecture decisions require
support from the cpp lib maintainers that arn't very available, making
things hard to be done..

--
Jérémie

--
Jérémie 'ahFeel' BORDIER

Re: more committers

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Bryan Duxbury wrote:
> Perhaps more than anything, this thread should be viewed as a call to
> action for the existing PMC. Perhaps I don't know, since I'm also not in
> on the "private" discussions, but it certainly feels like nothing is
> being done at all.

As you guessed, you are not missing much.  And an incubating project
with most of its committers from a single company should strive hard to
add new committers.

In other Apache projects that I'm involved with, we generally nominate
contributors to become committers when they have:
  - contributed a series of high-quality, non-trivial patches; and
  - demonstrated that they are easy to work with.

Looking at the contributions report (http://tinyurl.com/a2mrzy) I see a
few folks who've contributed lots of patches but who have not yet been
proposed as committers.  From a glance at the interactions, these folks
do not appear to be hard to work with, but I cannot claim to have
followed Thrift closely enough to be sure, nor to nominate any myself.
But it does seem like some of the more active committers might strongly
consider nominating a few folks on thrift-private@.

Doug

Re: more committers

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.