Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ruga <ru...@protonmail.com> on 2016/08/03 10:07:06 UTC

Paragraph Length Limit (new rule)

Hello,

We received a new type of spam, twice, and we are not willing to give them a third chance.
The body includes a long html paragraph (<p>...</p>) of headlines from the news.

The following works at the command line:
perl -p0e 's/(<p>(?:(?!<\/p>).){999,}<\/p>)/-->$1<--/msig' example.eml
perl -n0e '/(<p>(?:(?!<\/p>).){999,}<\/p>)/msig and print "--->$1<---"' example.eml

The following SA rule, however, does not work at all:

rawbody __B_PLL /<p>(?:(?!<\/p>).){999,}<\/p>/msi
tflags __B_PLL multiple maxhits=1
meta B_PLL __B_PLL
describe B_PLL Body: Paragraph Length Limit
score B_PLL 1.0

I would be most grateful if you could spot the but in the above rule.

Re: Paragraph Length Limit (new rule)

Posted by Ruga <ru...@protonmail.com>.
>I would be most grateful if you could spot the but in the above rule.

The *bug*, sorry.

Re: Paragraph Length Limit (new rule)

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 03.08.2016 um 12:55 schrieb Ruga:
> I am AWAY for my office

then reply when you are back

> Real spam truly unnecessary

says who in case of writing a sane rule?

to understand the context it is necessary and in any case prefered to
dig in the dark with some isolated stuff

Posted by Ruga <ru...@protonmail.com>.
OK

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

Keep in mind we do not know that. It is better to not reply and wait a few hours than get Reindl worked up. :)

Posted by Ryan Coleman <ry...@cwis.biz>.

Posted by Ruga <ru...@protonmail.com>.
I am AWAY for my office.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Coleman <ry...@cwis.biz>.
> On Aug 3, 2016, at 4:37 PM, John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2016, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>
>> So your script dings my websites because I use .php as an extension without doing SEO?
>>
>> That seems really silly. Many websites use internal pages without SEO because of the royal PITB they can be to program all the little variables. For crying out loud most unsubscribe links are scripts with variables!
>
> Ruga doesn't say whether or not that is in combination with the excessively-long paragraph hit.

Fair enough… You are correct on that count.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 3 Aug 2016, Ryan Coleman wrote:

> So your script dings my websites because I use .php as an extension without doing SEO?
>
> That seems really silly. Many websites use internal pages without SEO
> because of the royal PITB they can be to program all the little
> variables. For crying out loud most unsubscribe links are scripts with
> variables!

Ruga doesn't say whether or not that is in combination with the
excessively-long paragraph hit.

>> On Aug 3, 2016, at 4:07 PM, Ruga <ru...@protonmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> An additional rule scores 1.0 for any uri to a php page,

   The real opiate of the masses isn't religion; it's the belief that
   somewhere there is a benefit that can be delivered without a
   corresponding cost.                       -- Tom of "Radio Free NJ"
  2 days until the 281st anniversary of John Peter Zenger's acquittal

Re: Paragraph Length Limit (new rule)

Posted by Ryan Coleman <ry...@cwis.biz>.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 3 Aug 2016, at 17:07, Ruga wrote:

> New tests lead me to the following rule. It works
> and is now deployed on production servers.
>
> full B_PLL /<p>(?:(?!<\/p>).){2000}/msi
> describe B_PLL Paragraph Length Limit
> score B_PLL 1.5
>
> rawbody has a hidden bug: it breaks the above rule too.

That is consistent with my guess about where the bug arises. For
'rawbody' rules, messages are sliced into 1-2KB pseudo-paragraphs and
apparently there's no mechanism to allow a rawbody rule to span an
arbitrary number of those pieces.

> I am re-writing all local rules to "full" until "rawbody" is fixed.

There's a strong possibility that this only arises when using
look-aheads that span more than 2 pseudo-paragraphs, i.e. match >1024
characters.

> 2000 is an arbitrary number that fits the local corpus at this time.
> The long paragraph in the original spam had 10797 characters,
> and was 192 lines long.
>
> The score is now 1.5/5.0. The original spam scored 1.6/5.0.
> An additional rule scores 1.0 for any uri to a php page,
> and a third rule scores 1.0 when the From addr contains numbers.
> The resulting score for the original spam is now 5.0/5.0
>
> Please catch the bug in rawbody.

If you want to help make that more likely to happen, please create a bug
report at https://bz.apache.org/SpamAssassin/

Re: Paragraph Length Limit (new rule)

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 3 Aug 2016, Ruga wrote:

>> Pointless. Why set the "multiple" flag if you're going to set "maxhits=1"??
>
> To really stop at the first match.

That is the behavior if the "multiple" flag is not provided. "multiple"
exists specifically to allow you to *NOT* stop at the first match.

   Individual liberties are always "loopholes" to absolute authority.

Posted by Ruga <ru...@protonmail.com>.
>Looks like a SA bug to me.
At last...

> rawbody __B_PLL /<p>(?:(?!</p>).){999}/msi
Well done.

>> tflags __B_PLL multiple maxhits=1

>Pointless. Why set the "multiple" flag if you're going to set "maxhits=1"??

To really stop at the first match.

> simply having a paragraph longer than 999 characters isn't inherently or heuristically spammy.

We receive spam with long paragraphs of nonsensical garbage, possibly to poison the corpus and results of automated learning. They are now sending headlines from the news, instead of random words and broken grammar. By rejecting such junk upront, we keep the system healthy.

Also, when you see such spam on screen, that single long paragraph that fills pages and pages with junk, it would be pointless to keep you as a postmaster...

Re: Paragraph Length Limit (new rule)

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 3 Aug 2016, at 6:07, Ruga wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We received a new type of spam, twice, and we are not willing to give
> them a third chance.
> The body includes a long html paragraph (<p>...</p>) of headlines from
> the news.
>
> The following works at the command line:
> perl -p0e 's/(<p>(?:(?!<\/p>).){999,}<\/p>)/-->$1<--/msig' example.eml
> perl -n0e '/(<p>(?:(?!<\/p>).){999,}<\/p>)/msig and print
> "--->$1<---"' example.eml
>
> The following SA rule, however, does not work at all:
>
> rawbody __B_PLL /<p>(?:(?!<\/p>).){999,}<\/p>/msi

Will not hit an unclosed <p> tag.
May take a very long time to check against some very long messages with
pathological (but not uncommon or spam-only!) HTML, due to the
open-ended {999,}.

However, I happen to have a message that should match your rule. It
matches in perl directly, with the matched string being a 163301-byte
HTML mess which also happens to be one line when decoded from
quoted-printable, but it does not match as a SA 'rawbody' pattern. It
DOES match if the rule is switched from 'rawbody' to 'full'. It is not
clear to me why that change results in a match. I also constructed a
message where the '</p>' was only 650 characters after the '<p>' and
reduced the minimum length from 999 to 300, and that also matched as a
rawbody rule.

It seems that there's something breaking in SA when a 'rawbody' match is
too long. I suspect a logical problem in how SA "chunks" a message for
body and rawbody tests, but I haven't tracked down the details... Looks
like a SA bug to me.

For performance, the ability to match unclosed paragraphs, and working
around that bug,a better solution is:

rawbody __B_PLL /<p>(?:(?!<\/p>).){999}/msi

That will match the first 999 characters of a long HTML paragraph, no
matter how long it is and whether or not it is ever closed. It also gets
around whatever SA bug is blocking the very long matches.

> tflags __B_PLL multiple maxhits=1

Pointless. Why set the "multiple" flag if you're going to set
"maxhits=1"???

> meta B_PLL __B_PLL
> describe B_PLL Body: Paragraph Length Limit
> score B_PLL 1.0

I assume this is a placeholder for future combination with other rules,
since the 'meta' as it stands is pointless and simply having a paragraph

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 03.08.16 12:31, Ruga wrote:
>To limit the number of possible matches to a single one.

you did not get it. what you describe is the standard behaviour.
you need "tflags multiple" when you want more than one match.

using "tflags multiple maxhits=1" is completely useless.

Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?

Re: Paragraph Length Limit (new rule)

Posted by Ruga <ru...@protonmail.com>.
> Use a 'full' not 'rawbody' rule.
I do not need to parse the header.

Posted by Dave Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
Use a 'full' not 'rawbody' rule.
IE:
   full B_PLL /<p>(?:(?!<\/p>).){999,}<\/p>/msi

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016, Ruga wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We received a new type of spam, twice, and we are not willing to give them a third chance.
> The body includes a long html paragraph (<p>...</p>) of headlines from the news.
>
> The following works at the command line:
> perl -p0e 's/(<p>(?:(?!<\/p>).){999,}<\/p>)/-->$1<--/msig' example.eml
> perl -n0e '/(<p>(?:(?!<\/p>).){999,}<\/p>)/msig and print "--->$1<---"' example.eml
>
> The following SA rule, however, does not work at all:
>
> rawbody __B_PLL /<p>(?:(?!<\/p>).){999,}<\/p>/msi
> tflags __B_PLL multiple maxhits=1
> meta B_PLL __B_PLL
> describe   B_PLL Body: Paragraph Length Limit
> score    B_PLL 1.0
>
> I would be most grateful if you could spot the but in the above rule.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: Paragraph Length Limit (new rule)

Posted by Ruga <ru...@protonmail.com>.

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 6:59 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <'uhlar@fantomas.sk'> wrote:
On 03.08.16 12:42, Ruga wrote:
>This is the stripped test. The number of characters is reduced to 72
>from the original 999: make your own choice. The attached e-mail
>triggers the rule *if* I remove at least one "example" string.
>
>Perl: 5.22.2
>SA: 3.4.1

>describe B_PLL Paragraph Length Limit
>score B_PLL 1.0

again. post the real sample of the spam

We can't help you if you only post the rule - we don't know what you expect
it to match.

Nothing is fool-proof to a talented fool.

Re: Paragraph Length Limit (new rule)

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 03.08.2016 um 21:22 schrieb Ruga:
> I cannot post the original spam message.
> Protonmail checks the outgoing messages:
> if they are spammy, then the sender is banned

that is why you where asked *as first response* to put it on pastebin

RE: Paragraph Length Limit (new rule)

Posted by Kevin Miller <ke...@juneau.org>.
Copy paste the entire message, including headers to pastebin.com which is the preferred action, as the spam filters on this list may well filter it out if sent as an email anyway.

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Network/email Administrator, CBJ MIS Dept.
I cannot post the original spam message.
Protonmail checks the outgoing messages:
if they are spammy, then the sender is banned.
I managed to send you a stripped version of
the original without loosing my account.
Be happy with it, because it is as close as you will ever get to the ugliness of the original.

Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@fantomas.sk<ma...@fantomas.sk> ; http://www.fantomas.sk/

Posted by Ruga <ru...@protonmail.com>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.